Road Hazard Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road Hazard Insurance

Does it pay to purchase road hazard for tires? Even though it less than $20.00 per tire, I will do without it if I can. Looking at BFG Long Trail T/A Touring to put on moto metal 951 wheels. I know these are not aggressive tires but I heard some good things about them. All of my driving is highway but I'll be willing to hear suggestions on all terrain tires. Thanks all for your help.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:04 AM
RH Warranty

It costs $25 around here for one nail repair. If you have 3 nails over the life of the tire or a failure, you'll be even. My thoughts

Old 10-05-2009, 09:16 AM
Technical Article Contributor

why not get it???? ive had so many nails picked up in my tires from just regular driving and then all the roofs repaired in houston after ike. its so worth it. my dad even went to discount and got the warranties put on his tires after he bought his 08.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:48 PM
I always get the RHW and it always pays for itself.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Thanks, I appreciate your advice that I will do.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure about other places, but at my shop the road hazard warranty not only covers flat repairs, but if the tire is unrepairable we will replace it for free within the first 25% of the tread life. After that, we will pro-rate the tire based on the treadwear.

Just today, I had 3 customers pitch a fit because they had to pay full price to replace a tire they just bought. One guy bought his tires two days ago! A nail through the sidewall, and he had to pay full price (almost $300!) for a replacement. I got some satisfaction out of that one though, since he had a smug look on his face the other day when I offered the road hazard coverage and he not-so-politely declined.

I even have a tire that was taken off a customer's car a few months back on display in my showroom. There is a nail in the sidewall and a sign that reads "This tire is one day old. Road hazard coverage would have replaced this tire for FREE!" True story. And I still have people decline the coverage. And they are usually the people who come in every few months complaining about the price of a flat repair or replacing a tire.

Anyway, for the price charged, not buying road hazard coverage is simply stupid in my mind. Some people might say it's a waste of money if you never have a flat or need to replace a tire, but with the ungodly amount of money I see people on this site wasting every day on $10/quart motor oil and $17 oil filters, etc. the extra $20 or so for road hazard coverage should be nothing.

Quick Reply: Road Hazard Insurance