Steering wheel shake

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 04:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
USA NINJA, don't bother doing 20's just in hopes of fixing the issue, cause i've had stock 20's and 2 sets of stock size tires (275/55/R20) since i bought my truck brand new and it's been shakin like a motha the whole time..... just my advise....

Originally Posted by usa_ninja
My 06 f150 8'bed 1/2 ton does the same between 60-70 miles (especially in the cold mornings) and sometimes doesn't, the dealer gave me 2 news tires after a month driving my truck, but the shaking didn't went away. The ford dealer told me that was because of my 8' bed and my truck has a heavyduty suspension (plow pack) blablabla. After few trips to the dealer i give up, after 25.000 miles they start to blame the tires 245/70/17 General Grabber TR tires, they told me to go after them for warranty. I am ready to buy 20' rims and 275-55-20 tires. I hope that will solve the problem. Tired of the cab shaking.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by deezel21
USA NINJA, don't bother doing 20's just in hopes of fixing the issue, cause i've had stock 20's and 2 sets of stock size tires (275/55/R20) since i bought my truck brand new and it's been shakin like a motha the whole time..... just my advise....

Thanks deezel I changed my mind yesterday about the 20' after a research online. I got those 7 lugs rims and I found 17" rims on ebay and 285/70/17 tires but I am not sure if new rims and tires will solve the problem too. The shaking drive me crazy sometimes just between 60 and 70.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:50 PM
I have had the same problem from the day I drove it home brand new off the lot. It came with the 20" Roush wheels. I brought it back the next day for a wash and a fill up since they didn't do it the day I bought it. I told my salesman about it and they kept it for a week. They couldn't figure out what was causing the shake so they just blamed it on the roush wheels, said they talked to the engineers at roush and said to just have them balanced with a road force balancer. Well almost 5 years later after two sets of tires, road force balancing, alignments, turned rotors, inspection of the bearings, tie rods linkages, you name it I've tried it and the son of bitch still shakes on the highway. it starts at about 60 and gets worse as you speed up and it also fades in and out really slowly. So in other words it will be fine one minute then the steering wheel barely starts to move then gradually gets worse until my watch starts making noise jiggling on my wrist then it fades right back out. Probably cycles every two minutes or so. This happens daily. The only time it is ever smooth is for about the first week after having the rotors turned. From reading post about this for almost 5 years I am finally going to get some quality rotors to replace the oem's and i hope to god this fixes it. I can't think of any other cause. I also considered getting one of those steering stabilizers to dampen it a bit but I can't even find a universal kit that i could make work on this truck. I only have 40,00 miles. The original tires were barely worn when I swapped them out. I had the alignment done at Firestone and i have the lifetime alignment service and every time I bring it in for an alignment it is off a little (probably from the vibrations) and when I drive it home it has a slightly different shake, same general problem just shorter or longer cycle or starts at different speeds. I have a cross country road trip coming up soon and I know it's going to be miserable. Really disappointed. No one else I know with a 04-08 truck has this problem.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:32 AM
Just a thought. Maybe it has somthing to do with the rack and pinion steering. There is valving that lets fluid flow in different directions based on what the steering input is. If the valving sticks then it may cause issues. Just a thought.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:34 PM
That could be it moosesp, i also had this problem when i bought mine. I looked for a steering stabilizer but they don't make one for our trucks b/c they shouldn't need them with rack and pinion steering. Although, luckily my shaking problems went away with the combination of new tires and new transmission. (the pirelli's were terrible about flat spotting cool/cold weather). Now it's time to replace the crappy front wrapped rotors and buy some good slotted and dimpled ones that will have much better stopping power and warranty.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:52 PM
I had this happen to mine last week, went to get the tires balanced and just to make sure we checked each spindle. My passenger side lower balljoint was completely shot! swapped it out and now everything is good. I know thyis wont be the problem on most trucks but it solved it for me.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:52 AM
its the weight or bad tires. I just had 305 55 20s and I could not get rid of the shake, I just put on 285 55 20s and smooth as glass.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:17 AM
I have this issue with my summer tires only. General Grabber UHP 265/70/16s. The first set of tires I had to send back as they were totally unbalanceable. The new set balanced fine but once I get to 60-70 mph the steering wheel vibes, but not all the time, it comes and goes. I put my winter tires on and the truck runs smooth.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:21 AM
My new BFG 285 55 20s are OK so far.

Does the TPMS sensor have any effect on wheel balancing?

Old 02-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Mine does it at 43 exactly. But doesn't do it if I accelerate fast. So, getting to 55 at a normal pace it shakes at 43 then goes away at around 48. Getting to 55 in a hurry, no shake.
Also, I've had it shake sooner, getting worse each second, until the whole truck is shaking. It is something to do with the emergency brake. The 4 times it has done it was when I forgot to release the emergency brake before I put the truck in reverse, and let off the brake. (you know the whole, "Why isn't my truck moving" feeling). So, the fifth time I forgot to do it, I just drove the truck to the end of the parking lot, shut her off, and set the brake again. Turned her on, released brake, then put her in drive. No shaking that time, so it just has to be the emergency brake. Not sure what though, I've heard of the emergency brakes rubbing in the 04+ alot. I know it did in my 04, b/c I sure could smell it. First time the shaking happened in my 02, I got home and walked around the truck, and could smell burning rubber.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Isnt the emergency brake on the rear tires?

Old 02-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Not sure. But if one side was rubbing, wouldn't that cause the truck to shake? Since one tire would be going slower then the other.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Yes but probably not the steering wheel.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:15 PM
Yea, didn't think about that. All I know though, is that when it shakes real bad, starting in the steering wheel then the whole truck, it's b/c I tried to reverse with the parking brake on.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:04 PM
Fabtech makes a steering stabilizer for our trucks i dont know if that would stop the shaking or not I was getting that shaking when i went up to 35's but it was a tire out of balance

Quick Reply: Steering wheel shake