Steering wheel shake

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel shake

Fellas,

I need some advice. 'SOMETIMES' when driving around 60-70 miles an hour I get the old steering wheel shake like when having unbalanced tires. The problem is that it doesn't happen all the time. It seems like if the tires weren't balanced I would get a harmonic inbalance and 'shaking of the steering wheel' all the time betweeen 60 and 70.

Could this be a suspension issue? something bent? Why doesn't it happen all the time?

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks,

Old 10-23-2009, 09:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tell me and we will both know. I have the same problem since going up to 35 inch BFG's. I have a vibion between 45 and 60 sometimes. It usually smooths out at 60-65 mph. Sometimes I have the vibration, sometimes I don't, even on the same stretches of highway. I believe it's a problem with one or more of my tires as I never had any vibrations with my old 33 inch BFG's. However, I bought them used from a relative. I'll never buy a set of used tires again.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:06 PM
It is baffeling to me. I will have them balanced again but I am wondering if something is bent or some other suspension issue. I wish I weren't **** about cars and it didn't bother me.

Someone knows the answer...just gotta find'em!

Old 10-23-2009, 11:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I know my tires shake the wheel when they are cold until they warm up, like there is a flat spot or something.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by greencrew
I know my tires shake the wheel when they are cold until they warm up, like there is a flat spot or something.
Same here, on my old truck I ran 285/75/16 Nittos and they would do the same thing as my 305/55/20 not sure if I only notice it sometimes or it only does it some of the time.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:50 AM
that happens sometimes to me when I hit those same exact speeds and it didnt start happening till I bumped up to 35's all I do is just jerk your steering wheel back and forth real quick and it stops.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by aPINCHbetter90
that happens sometimes to me when I hit those same exact speeds and it didnt start happening till I bumped up to 35's all I do is just jerk your steering wheel back and forth real quick and it stops.
No kidding? do you think steer stabilizers would help?

Trending Topics

Old 01-11-2010, 07:15 PM
HMR
I have the same problem. But I had it with my stock tires and thought it would go away once I got new, balanced tires. Nope. But I didn't always have it. it started around 35000 miles. Like I said, I thought it was the tires. Still could be, I guess. I haven't had them re-checked for balance yet but I'm suspecting something else. Shocks? or some play in the suspension maybe? But I also find no rhyme or reason to it. sometimes it will be perfect and other times shakes like crazy over the same stretch of road. (just my steering wheel) It seems like it might be set off by a certain oscillation in the road at just the right speed, usually between 60 and 70 mph. I'm just searching the forum threads right now to see what I can find. I hope that if someone has drilled to the bottom of this issue and solved it that they will share the fix with the rest of us.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:23 PM
mine does it do but i think its the transmisson because when it shifts out it goes away most of the time, but i may be totally wrong

Old 01-13-2010, 07:39 PM
Mine does the same thing since I went to 315/70/17 Dunlop Rover MTs. I thought it was just a problem with the tires. They've been rebalanced three times in 6 months. Same intermittent problem as you. I replaced the upper control arms at 80K and now the ball joints are bad again at 107K according to the dealer. They were new Ford parts. I might go with Camburg or Total Chaos this time.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:30 PM
man if someone can answer this question/concern, you are my hero. I've been fighting with Ford for 2.5 yrs over this... Mine steering wheel has been doing it since new and it does it more often than it doesn't but it still seems sometimes certain stars do need to be aligned in order to get the shake. Did it with my stock tires (btw those Pirellis are GARBAGE) and it still does it after I got new Wrangler Silent Armors (stock size). Had if forced balanced, no better... It's obviously something other than tire/wheel balancing and Ford just doesn't seem to want to MAN UP and figure it out/fix it! I'm a FORD guy through and through but honestly this issue tests my loyalty way too much! I'm gonna keep my eyes on this thread and hope the answer finds its way here....

Old 01-16-2010, 04:59 PM
My 06 f150 8'bed 1/2 ton does the same between 60-70 miles (especially in the cold mornings) and sometimes doesn't, the dealer gave me 2 news tires after a month driving my truck, but the shaking didn't went away. The ford dealer told me that was because of my 8' bed and my truck has a heavyduty suspension (plow pack) blablabla. After few trips to the dealer i give up, after 25.000 miles they start to blame the tires 245/70/17 General Grabber TR tires, they told me to go after them for warranty. I am ready to buy 20' rims and 275-55-20 tires. I hope that will solve the problem. Tired of the cab shaking.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:15 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
I had this very bad at times at 60-65 mph. There were times it did not show up, so I decided it was not tires. Then I develpoed a pull, and decided to get new tires and an alignment at the same time. Now it is smooth as can be. I love the new tires, too. Toyo Proxes ST IIs. Best wet weather tire I have ever had, great performance tire.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:44 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
I've had this now 3 times. Once in August, once in early october, and once in December. Very very strange. You can feel it coming too. The steer wheel vibrates a little bit, then it gets stronger, and stronger and then the truck starts shaking. Jim, this is what I mentioned a long time ago if you remember. So strange. It happens between 60 and 68 for me. I'm puzzled. I thought I rad something of a frame shake in the early trucks like our 04's?

Old 01-18-2010, 10:03 AM
I'll take a +1 for this problem. I just drive slow now...drives my girlfriend nuts.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel shake