Slotted and Dimpled Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 03:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I got my rotors in yesturday and they look amazing I can't wait to put them on ....... Can't post a pic of them I'm on my iPod but will post it up when I get home and another one when I put them on and after a couple of days ill take one more

Originally Posted by Damon@tirerack
All dimpling does is make the rotor look drilled. In the end it removes surface area that should be stopping the truck. It's for looks.

If cooler brakes is your goal, go with a slotted only rotor.
Just wanted to ask if drilled and slotted rotors will help stop more than just slotted ??? If thats the case the way I see it is the face of the rotor are the same as drilled and slotted same surface just not all the way throught so IMO if the face is the same and slotted and drilled give you better stopping power than slotted and dimpled would be the same with better strucual properties

Not trying to attack at all man just wanted to see if what I was thinkin was right

Thanks in advance
-Chris

Old 12-03-2009, 04:37 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Pockets
Well I got my rotors in yesturday and they look amazing I can't wait to put them on ....... Can't post a pic of them I'm on my iPod but will post it up when I get home and another one when I put them on and after a couple of days ill take one more

Just wanted to ask if drilled and slotted rotors will help stop more than just slotted ??? If thats the case the way I see it is the face of the rotor are the same as drilled and slotted same surface just not all the way throught so IMO if the face is the same and slotted and drilled give you better stopping power than slotted and dimpled would be the same with better strucual properties

Not trying to attack at all man just wanted to see if what I was thinkin was right

Thanks in advance
-Chris
Slotted rotors are for higher heat situations like towing or mountains, and drilled are for when you need to get rid of gases created between pads and rotors(racing). Both take away rotor surface and tend to eat up pads quicker for normal driving. Just overkill. What the above poster was saying is that dimples are for looks only to look sort of like drilled, but they aren't and do nothing but remove surface.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:01 PM
There is some really good information in this thread.
I think I learned quite a bit today!

Old 12-03-2009, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Slotted rotors are for higher heat situations like towing or mountains, and drilled are for when you need to get rid of gases created between pads and rotors(racing). Both take away rotor surface and tend to eat up pads quicker for normal driving. Just overkill. What the above poster was saying is that dimples are for looks only to look sort of like drilled, but they aren't and do nothing but remove surface.

Great answer just what I was looking for ........ i was under the impression that having a surface that would sort of "grab" a hold of the pad would make it stop better .... guess i was wrong :o

Thanks for the reply Blue

Old 12-03-2009, 11:20 PM
Pics

Old 12-03-2009, 11:27 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
They are very pretty! Now paint your calipers and you will be looking great.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very nice man i got mine on about2 weeks ago i love em they are great

Old 12-04-2009, 12:05 AM
They are very pretty! Now paint your calipers and you will be looking great.
Is that hard to do???

Originally Posted by mav015
very nice man i got mine on about2 weeks ago i love em they are great
Thanks! I'm hoping to get them on this weekend sat or Sunday I can't wait...... Did u get the ceramic pads with it and if so did u see a decrease in the amount of brake dust produced by the pads

Old 12-04-2009, 12:16 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
I just checked the How To articles for a write up, thought we had one, but did not see it. Do an advanced search on "painting calipers" and see if you don't get some info. You can buy a kit that has everything you need.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:24 AM
I just checked the How To articles for a write up, thought we had one, but did not see it. Do an advanced search on "painting calipers" and see if you don't get some info. You can buy a kit that has everything you need.
K ill do a search see what I can find...... What color would look good red or black right idk if ill do it changing them now but maybe in the future I may want to think bout it

Old 12-04-2009, 09:40 AM
yea i went with ceramics i dont like brake dust
i didnt paint my calipers but the actually rotor and pad job was all cake i got it done in like hour and a half

Old 12-04-2009, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by mav015
yea i went with ceramics i dont like brake dust
i didnt paint my calipers but the actually rotor and pad job was all cake i got it done in like hour and a half
Sweet i got the ceramic becasue i was sick and tired of the dust as well lol and maybe a little better stopping.

Hoping to do the job tonight with my father at my firehouse yayy heated sub station lol

Old 12-04-2009, 09:17 PM
Just got finished from doing the rotors on my truck with the help of my father........ 1.5 hrs total not to bad at all

Pics

Before

With Rotor off

Compressing the calipers with the old pad

After

Ceramic pads as well ........ thanks for lookin

-Chris

Old 12-04-2009, 11:25 PM
I went through several rotors before I came across Baer's crossdrilled and slotted rotors. They are AWESOME!!! I pull 20,000lbs+ with my F-150 and they handle it with NO WARPAGE! I have had them for ~ 100,000 miles or so. They are about worn out though... They have almost no slots left. http://www.baer.com/products/oe/decelarotor.php

Regardless of which rotors you choose, (if you have a warping problem) just be sure to use cheapo pads and not the ceramics. They will wear out faster but save your rotors.

Last edited by chester8420; 12-04-2009 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Wow they are an incredible difference like night and day very glad I put these on I feel way more able to stop In A short distance than I did before. I would say everyone should do this because it's such a big difference and will maybe avoid an accident or save your life get good brakes it's amazing!!!!

Quick Reply: Slotted and Dimpled Rotors