Slotted and Dimpled Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 12:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Slotted and Dimpled Rotors

Hey guys got my truck inspected a month or two ago and they said I am going to be needing some new front brake pads..... well I have had a pretty bad shimmy in the steering wheel when I brake hard from high speeds so I'm just going to go with new rotors as well...... I drive HARD everywhere just fyi so I'm pretty sure that i have warped my rotors lol ........ would you guys suggest buying these slotted and dimpled rotors from brake performance?? My truck is a 4wd truck too

http://brakeperformance.com/site/bra...0777&dv=100509

Does anyone have these and if so how good are the ceramic pads that come free with them. Are they lasting?? Braking performance??

Thanks a bunch guys been needing this for a while now

Last edited by Pockets; 11-19-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's my thread https://www.f150online.com/forums/wh...anti-warp.html .
I'm hard on my brakes as well and with me having 35's the brakes handle better than stock but the ceramic pads I got still produce brake dust which I will replace sometime but will continue to clean more than usual til that time comes. I've got about 3500 miles on my brakes and they are still performing strong.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Ceramics: They are good but do not develop any more friction than good quality OEM linings

Performance Friction & Hawk: Good braking, increased friction but dirty compared to OEM with the exception of VelveTouch- a line that Hawk just bought from Wellman Industries. VelveTouch lining has been used for many decades and was the original lining used in all Shelby Mustangs in the 60’s (I personally have used the Velvetouch lining since 1960’s until brake lining production ceased in 1986), then switched to Carbo. Wellman has been the builder of braking linings for all of the Formula 1 race teams for more than 30 years.

CarboTech Engineering lining: This particular lining has a high friction co-efficient, excellent pedal feel, wear.

With regards to rotors, I have previously run Brembo OEM replacement rotors that are cryogenically treated at Diversified Cryogenics, making them almost as hard as stainless steel. Unfortunately, Brembo, Powerslot, Raybestos, Bendix, Hawk etc. are all purchasing their rotors from the same foundary in China (with the exception of the $300 each composite high end units for Ferrari, Porsche, etc). I am presently running “Frozen Rotors” from Diversified Cryogenics. They purchase the highest grade rotors made, laser mic them for quality, scrap the ones that are out of spec and cryogenically treat the good ones which are now as strong as stainless. ART is a similar company out of SoCal that does similar work. Both will also slot and cross drill the rotors for you. Their service, price and quality is excellent as well.

For street use, slotted/drilled rotors are just “cheese-graters” for the brake pads IMHO, because unless you are involved in true racing conditions, the brake linings do not produce the gases which slotted/drilled rotors are designed to relive. In some cases, brake testing indicated reduce brake efficiency in street-based operations using slotted/drilled rotors when equal comparisons were made. The staff can speak to you as well regarding those options, but I am very satisfied with the performance & wear of these products.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:27 PM
my buddy has them and loves them
im about to put em on my truck once it stops rainin
all i can say is they look real nice haha

Old 11-20-2009, 02:43 AM
it says a set of free brake pads now are they saying a set as in 4 or set as in 2?

Old 11-20-2009, 07:58 AM
they are all brake pads front and rear

Old 11-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys

Originally Posted by 06' Ford
Here's my thread https://www.f150online.com/forums/wh...anti-warp.html .
I'm hard on my brakes as well and with me having 35's the brakes handle better than stock but the ceramic pads I got still produce brake dust which I will replace sometime but will continue to clean more than usual til that time comes. I've got about 3500 miles on my brakes and they are still performing strong.
Great thats what i was looking for someone that had them and liked them thanks for the thread post man.....kick *** truck btw

Originally Posted by beechkid
Ceramics: They are good but do not develop any more friction than good quality OEM linings

Performance Friction & Hawk: Good braking, increased friction but dirty compared to OEM with the exception of VelveTouch- a line that Hawk just bought from Wellman Industries. VelveTouch lining has been used for many decades and was the original lining used in all Shelby Mustangs in the 60’s (I personally have used the Velvetouch lining since 1960’s until brake lining production ceased in 1986), then switched to Carbo. Wellman has been the builder of braking linings for all of the Formula 1 race teams for more than 30 years.

CarboTech Engineering lining: This particular lining has a high friction co-efficient, excellent pedal feel, wear.

With regards to rotors, I have previously run Brembo OEM replacement rotors that are cryogenically treated at Diversified Cryogenics, making them almost as hard as stainless steel. Unfortunately, Brembo, Powerslot, Raybestos, Bendix, Hawk etc. are all purchasing their rotors from the same foundary in China (with the exception of the $300 each composite high end units for Ferrari, Porsche, etc). I am presently running “Frozen Rotors” from Diversified Cryogenics. They purchase the highest grade rotors made, laser mic them for quality, scrap the ones that are out of spec and cryogenically treat the good ones which are now as strong as stainless. ART is a similar company out of SoCal that does similar work. Both will also slot and cross drill the rotors for you. Their service, price and quality is excellent as well.

For street use, slotted/drilled rotors are just “cheese-graters” for the brake pads IMHO, because unless you are involved in true racing conditions, the brake linings do not produce the gases which slotted/drilled rotors are designed to relive. In some cases, brake testing indicated reduce brake efficiency in street-based operations using slotted/drilled rotors when equal comparisons were made. The staff can speak to you as well regarding those options, but I am very satisfied with the performance & wear of these products.
Some really good info thanks

Originally Posted by mhockey9090
it says a set of free brake pads now are they saying a set as in 4 or set as in 2?
I believe they give you a pair (2) pads for each of the rotors that you buy...I'm getting the two front so i will be getting 4 pads all together

Old 11-20-2009, 03:02 PM
So I placed my order got the slotted and dimpled rotors and 10 extra for ceramic pads hopefully they will come in soon the weather is still nice up here in New York lol

Old 11-22-2009, 03:05 PM
hey 06 did they send you like a tracking number when u ordered ur rotors????

Old 11-22-2009, 08:35 PM
ceramic pads- tends to squeeze more.

slotted AND drilled- more prone to cracking.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by migdaddy
ceramic pads- tends to squeeze more.

slotted AND drilled- more prone to cracking.
I went with the Dimpled rotors not the totally drilled through from what ive read they are more structural than the drilled through ones

Old 11-22-2009, 11:42 PM
well there ya go. what company? what pads? are u installing yourself?

Old 11-24-2009, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by migdaddy
well there ya go. what company? what pads? are u installing yourself?

I got the rotors and pads from http://brakeperformance.com/site/index.php?ad=direct ...... they threw in free brake pads ($10 extra if you go with ceramic so I just did that) I have no idea what make or brand they are lol but the ones who have ordered from them said they were good.

Yes I will be installing them myself looked up some tricks on removing the rotor if they are stuck on here.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:16 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by Pockets
I went with the Dimpled rotors not the totally drilled through from what ive read they are more structural than the drilled through ones
All dimpling does is make the rotor look drilled. In the end it removes surface area that should be stopping the truck. It's for looks.

If cooler brakes is your goal, go with a slotted only rotor.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by Damon@tirerack
All dimpling does is make the rotor look drilled. In the end it removes surface area that should be stopping the truck. It's for looks.

If cooler brakes is your goal, go with a slotted only rotor.

Quick Reply: Slotted and Dimpled Rotors