WTF Do I do? KMC Wheel issue!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry WTF Do I do? KMC Wheel issue!

I bought a set of 18" KMC Spy a few weeks ago from Discount Tire in South Bend, Indiana. When they were installing them, they noticed the center caps did not fit. They ordered me new ones which came in last week. They did not fit. They ordered a whole new set of wheels thinking that the holes may have been drilled wrong on the wheel. They came yesterday and found out that the center caps do not fit those as well. They called KMC direct today, and they told them to ask me if I wanted to choose a differnt wheel! Evidently they drilled all the wheels wrong or EVERY center cap was molded in the wrong offset. I am dumb founded right now. I don't even know what to tell them.

Thoughts please.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Are they in the process of manufacturing new center caps for their screw up? Any chance to install the wheels and roll without them until they make new ones for a while?

I run KMC Hoss, and they are awesome.... One of my favorite KMC wheel that is not on many trucks is the Revolver... check them out.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by F_ast
Are they in the process of manufacturing new center caps for their screw up? Any chance to install the wheels and roll without them until they make new ones for a while?

I run KMC Hoss, and they are awesome.... One of my favorite KMC wheel that is not on many trucks is the Revolver... check them out.
No, they have already stopped manufacturing those wheels and probably won't start again till mid-late next year. I have the ones that don't fit on there right now with just one bolt holding it in.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Weird. Never heard of that before. My center caps are pop/ snap on. Like 8 plastic dog ear clips with a spring steel retaining ring that pops and clips into the center bore on the wheel. Wonder if this would work on your setup?

Old 12-02-2009, 11:54 AM
no, the center caps for the spy's bolt to the wheel. the offset between the holes do not match up.

Any other thoughts.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Get your money back and pick another wheel. It sounds like to much of a hassle for all the money your spending, not unless you are willing to wait forever! I know it's a pain to select another wheel but that's what I'd do.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:00 PM
ask them if when the new caps come in are you going to have to send those back? I assume not, so if thats the case Im sure there is a way to temporarily mount them.. and maybe some member have some ideas. also are you talking about the hex bolts that dont match up? or are you talking about how the in grooves on the cap dont match up with your lug nuts?

Trending Topics

Old 12-02-2009, 06:00 PM
I am talking about the holes in the caps are not aligning up with the predilled holes on the wheels. they are about 1/8" off.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Me personally I get a different wheel set-up. Otherwise if you dont want to you'll just have to deal with half azzed looking center caps for a brand new price..

Old 12-03-2009, 05:14 AM
Get new/different wheels. If their process control is so bad they didn't capture this mistake. What else might be wrong with the wheels? It doesn't matter if this was improperly bored out centers (they don't drill those) or incorrectly sized molded plastic center caps. Those are pretty big mistakes.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:07 AM
So I picked up 3 different KMC Wheels to replace them and what do you know, 2 of the 3 are on back order for another 6 months and the other has not been made for our trucks yet. WTF, I am having no luck what so ever.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:26 AM
I wonder if they are going to be offering those screw ups for cheap?

Old 12-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by Strikeswiftly
I wonder if they are going to be offering those screw ups for cheap?
haha...maybe. Hey, I just joined that screenfx forum and made a request for a sig, can you check it out for me? Thanks!

Old 12-03-2009, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by ryancasper2004
So I picked up 3 different KMC Wheels to replace them and what do you know, 2 of the 3 are on back order for another 6 months and the other has not been made for our trucks yet. WTF, I am having no luck what so ever.
Lots of wheel companies right now are in the same boat.. After two months of looking and hearing the same things I bought used wheels and tires, lol!

Old 12-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
About a year ago i had the same issue with pro comp. The center caps they made weren't tall enough to clear the hubs. After about a month of hassling the tire shop for new wheels they magically ended up finding a set of american racing centers that fit.

Quick Reply: WTF Do I do? KMC Wheel issue!