Tire Help For snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Help For snow

Hey, I need new tires for snow. I have a 2005 ford f150 4x4. I have the 2.5 leveling kit on it. It still has the stock xlt rims. I need tires for winter. What should I get. I see alot of people with the Nitto T/Gs. I want something to do good in snow and cheap because next summer I am going to be putting on 20 MM951s with a different tire obvisouly. So these xlt rims and tires will be for winter. I am also puttin a 6in lift on it so I dont want these tires to be so small they look stupid for next winter. What size do you recommend. 285/70/17?

Old 12-07-2009, 03:49 PM
Winter tires

Best suggestion here is do a search on Winter or Snow and you'll get all kinds of threads on this subject. Then it's a matter of taking your pick on which ones you like and can afford. One thing to consider when making your selection is the type snow situations you'll be driving in: urban vs country (ice/slush/packed vs powder) and do you want to float on or cut through the top to bite into it.

Last edited by HCBPH; 12-07-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by HCBPH
One thing to consider when making your selection is the type snow situations you'll be driving in: urban vs country (ice/slush/packed vs powder) and do you want to float on or cut through the top to bite into it.
It's good to consider what type of conditions you might encounter and choose the tire based upon that but there is not any type of snow that I'm aware of that you want to "float" on top of. Our trucks are too heavy to actually float, there has to be a firm base at some point and it will not be a significantly different depth regardless of how wide your tires are (within reason). I know a lot of snow drivers (both commercially and recreationally) and they all are in agreement that the tallest, narrowest tires (within reason) provide the best performance under all winter driving conditions in which you want to exceed 25 mph or so. After that, the tread, rubber compound and sidewall characteristics are the variables that will determine the type of conditions that any specific tire is best suited to.

The best winter rubber compounds do not hold up well to dry, warm pavement. If you will only be running the tires in the winter, I suggest a full-on winter tire. Just because it has the snowflake icon on the sidewall does not mean it is a full-on winter rubber compound.

If you want an all-around tire that works pretty good in the snow, I've been impressed with the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor. I got these for less than $600 installed at my local Ford dealership but they do not have a true winter rubber compound so they can be run year-round. They DO have the snowflake emblem so they satisfy the letter of the law when it comes to winter tire road requirements without needing to chain up:

255/75/17

Old 12-08-2009, 10:15 AM
I would go no smaller than the 285's, maybe go 285/75 or a 305-315/70. I'm thinking on both levels, that would be ok. As far as tires go, I hear good about the Nitto plus they have a million sizes, but Goodyears have always been good for me. BFG AT/KO another good snow tire.

Quick Reply: Tire Help For snow