Caliper pistons

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caliper pistons

Alright this one may be a bit ofa silly question, but I have to ask it...

first: 2002 SCrew, 2WD, 4.6 windsor, 120K

Doing a front brake job on the truck, decided to replace the hubs and wheel bearings. Been having a little trouble with pulsation but nothing HUGE. Pulled the calipers and tried to compress them with a C-clamp and it was ridiculously difficult. figured I'd cycle the brakes a few times to see it I could free them up but only one of the pistons actually moves when I push the brake pedal. Checked the driver's side and it does the same thing....

So the question I have is...they should both move, right? I mean, why have two pistons if only one of them moves...?

Thanks in advance.

dK

Old 02-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They should both move. I ran into a similar problem on my 98, only single piston calipers, one side would not retract. I ended up replacing both. You may be able to work them both withe C clamp and get them working. Other wise replace or rebuild. Slight pulsation could be becasue of uneven pressure on the pads.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
figured as much...the pulsation was definately due to the uneven pressure...pads were very unevenly worn...looked really funny. Looks like I'm spending another $100.00!!!

Thanks for the quick response!!!

dK

Quick Reply: Caliper pistons