??? difference between chrome and polished ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
??? difference between chrome and polished ???

im looking at getting some american racing craters and was wondering the difference.... any help... pics maybe

Old 03-02-2010, 08:57 PM
huge difference in my opinion. polished requires alot more maint. than chrome. both look good though!

Old 03-03-2010, 06:20 AM
thanks but what is the difference?

Old 03-03-2010, 06:37 AM
In very simple terms, Chrome is a plating on the metals surface. Polishing is from buffing the metals surface to a very smooth finish.

Chrome will give you more of a mirror type finish, but you can also polish metal surfaces to achieve the same. Polished aluminum would require more maintenance over chrome, especially if it does not have a clear coat finish to protect it.

I'd suggest you visit your local wheel/tire store and ask them to show you a chrome wheel and a polished wheel.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:47 AM
thanks for your help.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:56 AM
polished

chrome

hope this gives you an idea

Old 03-03-2010, 09:03 AM
Technical Article Contributor

I love the polished finish, but its one that requires a lot of work. As the name state you will have to polish these wheels a lot. As time has went on they have made sealers for the polished wheels to help maintain the look for longer and to help protect against dirt and grime. I think Zoops makes a sealer. One thing to beware of is if you live in an area where the roads are salted heavily in the winter, you must clean the wheels constantly. The bare aluminum will put when exposed to salt. For instances like this many just throw their stock wheels/tires back on for the winter.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:05 PM
So polished aluminum wheels are worse for salted roads than chrome? I have chrome now and there was some pitting this winter. Not a lot but I washed them pretty often too.

What about machined aluminum finish? Does this also require lots of cleaning / polishing?

Old 03-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by bnuts
im looking at getting some american racing craters and was wondering the difference.... any help... pics maybe
These are chrome Crater's on my truck now. I think they are discontinued so I guess you're buying them used.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:18 PM
Machined aluminum is pretty much just plain aluminum, they just machine the coating off AFAIK.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Remember this, chrome wheels are not the end all... They can pit and rust while polished aluminum wheels will not rust. I had the aluminum wheels for over twenty years on three different vehicles and have not had any problems. While the chrome wheels have a tendency to rust in the cracks and closed spaces that are not easily maintained... I had the chrome wheels where salt was not an issue but still had problems. It really is a personal decision. Both types will require care. I would never go back to chrome...

Last edited by jdruzik; 03-03-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:08 AM
Originally Posted by Watson91
I love the polished finish, but its one that requires a lot of work. As the name state you will have to polish these wheels a lot.
What TYPE of wheel being polished is the most important part of the equation. I have had all types of wheels, from machined, to polished to chrome and when dealing with a polished wheel, is the wheel FORGED aluminum or CAST? Cast aluminum wheels by design create a more porous surface in turn they will lose their luster and get dull in a much shorter period of time (about 1yr in my case) and need to be refinished. I currently have a set of Centerline Forged aluminum wheels and forged wheels are much more dense and less porous, so while polishing the wheel (by the manufacturer) is going to be a lot more work initially, the shine you get will be much more brilliant and the surface will hold the finish for a greater period of time. Centerline currently has a 5yr finish warranty on all polished wheels and if they lose luster or the finish deteriorates then they will re-polish them for free. I have had ZERO issues with my wheels in 2yrs of ownership. Also, most polished wheel these days come with a clear coat already, protecting it from salt and brake dust and everything else.

FYI for the OP, Chrome wheels is where Chromium is electroplated to the surface of a wheel, like gold or silver or anything else "plated", but it is done in a process called "Hard Plating" and is very durable in of itself. If done right, it is very shiny and very wear resistant and will be the most "maintenance free" surface you will find as it will usually come back to new looking with every wash of the surface. Its drawback is that it can pit or crack and flake over time or in extreme conditions. Keeping the surface intact is the most important part of maintaining a chrome wheel. If the wheel gets scratched or gouged deeply, then just like a painted surface, the bond of the plating will have been compromised making it susceptible to flaking. That's one of the main reasons people go away from chrome for 4x4 trucks. Personally I like it... Hope this helps

Last edited by 7lug; 03-04-2010 at 11:32 PM.

Quick Reply: ??? difference between chrome and polished ???