what are good rotors and wheel bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 10:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what are good rotors and wheel bearings?

gonna change my breaks soon..gonna do it ALL

gonna use wagner TQ pads..im guessing national wheel bearings and all that is good..what about rotors..i dont keep up with rotors because i just use the cheap stuff

Old 03-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ill be waiting for someone to answer this aswell as you hah
i was thinking of doing the same thing!

Old 03-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Napa/Monroe Ceramics: They are good but do not develop any more friction than good quality OEM linings

Performance Friction & Hawk: Good braking, increased friction but very dirty compared to OEM with the exception of VelveTouch- a line that Hawk just bought from Wellman Industries. VelveTouch lining has been used for many decades and was the original lining used in all Shelby Mustangs in the 60’s (I personally have used the Velvetouch lining since 1960’s until brake lining production ceased in 1986), then switched to Carbo. Wellman has been the builder of braking linings for all of the Formula 1 race teams for more than 30 years.

EBC & CarboTech Engineering lining, which I have used for about 15+ years and been very happy on multiple full size (V8) cars and trucks. This particular lining has a high friction co-efficient, excellent pedal feel, wear (typically 50,000 to 75,000 miles before replacement is required) and produces less dust than OEM linings. IIRR, I paid about $130 for my last set including shipping. I highly recommend speaking to them by phone for linings that would be best for your application.

With regards to rotors, I have previously run Brembo OEM replacement rotors that are cryogenically treated at Diversified Cryogenics, making them almost as hard as stainless steel- Applied Rotor Technology in California provides the same product. Unfortunately, Brembo, Powerslot, Raybestos, Bendix, Hawk etc. are all purchasing their rotors from the same foundary in China (with the exception of the $300 each composite high end units for Ferrari, Porsche, etc). They purchase the highest grade rotors made, laser mic them for quality, scrap the ones that are out of spec and cryogenically treat the good ones which are now as strong as stainless. They will also slot and cross drill the rotors for you. Their service, price and quality is excellent as well.

For street use, slotted/drilled rotors are just “cheese-graters” for the brake pads IMHO, because unless you are involved in true racing conditions, the brake linings do not produce the gases which slotted/drilled rotors are designed to relive. In some cases, brake testing indicated reduce brake efficiency in street-based operations using slotted/drilled rotors when equal comparisons were made. The staff can speak to you as well regarding those options, but I am very satisfied with the performance & wear of these products.

Wheel Bearings- National products are mostly imported and the biggest challenge is in some cases (one I have personally experienced) the inner and outer race assemblies were mfg'd at different plants- and yes, they fell apart! I highly recommend (and personaly only use) Timken bearings!!!! US made and never- NEVER had one fail!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: what are good rotors and wheel bearings?