Wheels are in and I have a complaint

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheels are in and I have a complaint

Ok, I went to the local 4wheelparts here last week to get some pricing on rims and tires. They quoted me $2400 for 18" rockstars and 35" Toyo Open Country MTs. Me, knowing that it's a rip off, proceeded to do some interweb searching and found a site selling those rims for $100 less, no tax, shipped. I called 4 wheel parts customer service number and they matched that price + $10 less. Over the phone, they origionally quoted me a price $200 more, then crawfished when I told them of another site's price.
Anyways I bought them and they came in today. Boxes where tore up so I suspected possible issues laying inside the boxes. All the rims and parts inside were good with the exception of one rim. On the very outer edge, there is a chip taken out of the rim where black paint used to be. It looks like where a weight used to be.
Here are some pics to show what I'm talking about. Is this big enough, and noticable enough to legitimately file a complaint? They have a local store here so do you think them crooks would swap out with a damage free product?

Old 03-02-2010, 10:51 PM
I say take it back and have them exchange it or repair it. Can the weights be put on the inside of the wheel so they don't show?

Old 03-02-2010, 10:55 PM
yeah just call them up about it. ^^ yes on most aftermarket wheels shops use stick on flat weights that go on the inside of the wheels

Old 03-02-2010, 10:55 PM
id also say take it back. whats the worst that can happen?

Old 03-02-2010, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by lrhogfan
I say take it back and have them exchange it or repair it. Can the weights be put on the inside of the wheel so they don't show?
I dont know, that's possible. But I've always seen them on the outside. This chip shows on the outside too. I think I will give their cust service a call tomorrow and see if I can swap it out here locally. Part of me wants to say screw it, because I've waited too long for new tires and rims. The other part of me doesnt want to regret, not doing something about it. My tires came in today at a local shop and they are waiting for me to show up and have them put on. Hopefully 4WP will work with me on this.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by BlackFX4inTN
I dont know, that's possible. But I've always seen them on the outside. This chip shows on the outside too. I think I will give their cust service a call tomorrow and see if I can swap it out here locally. Part of me wants to say screw it, because I've waited too long for new tires and rims. The other part of me doesnt want to regret, not doing something about it. My tires came in today at a local shop and they are waiting for me to show up and have them put on. Hopefully 4WP will work with me on this.
like i said the weights for aftermarket wheels don't go on the outside. they're flat and look like tiny tile pieces. they have a strong adhesive on the back and they stick on the inside of the wheel.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

yes they will use stick on weights on the inside of the wheels so take that one back and get a new one.

dont settle for damaged parts youll regret it if you do

Old 03-02-2010, 11:47 PM
Exactly! Make them replace it

Old 03-02-2010, 11:49 PM
sorry Dillon, I posted that before I read your first post. Jake, you're right. There's no reason why I should accept this.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:52 PM

sorry Dillon, I posted that before I read your first post. Jake, you're right. There's no reason why I should accept this.
exactly stick it to em

Old 03-02-2010, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm extremely OCD and sometimes I have to catch myself on certain things. The consensus here is to take them back which I will do. I will let ya'll know how it all shakes out.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm extremely OCD and sometimes I have to catch myself on certain things. The consensus here is to take them back which I will do. I will let ya'll know how it all shakes out.
let us know how it works out. btw your signature is very amusing.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:40 AM
You can't mount weights on the outside of those wheels, but that is still a bad chip in the powder-coat. I would request that they send you a replacement, for sure.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:03 PM

I've dealt with that 4wheel parts store a few times. While they are not the sharpest bunch they seem to be fairly easy to get along with so I doubt they will hassle you on it. Take that rim back and get what you paid for, a new rim!

Old 03-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by ab46501
I've dealt with that 4wheel parts store a few times. While they are not the sharpest bunch they seem to be fairly easy to get along with so I doubt they will hassle you on it. Take that rim back and get what you paid for, a new rim!
Thanks again for all the replies guys. They swapped it out here locally no problem. Wheels and new tires are on and will have pics in a few. I ran into some BS when they went to realign it after getting them on. Driver side balljoints were bad and they couldnt align it. Of course, they had to replace the whole upper control arm and I wasn't happy at all. Anyways, I'll have pics up shortly.

Quick Reply: Wheels are in and I have a complaint