Spare Tire Locked Up

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 01:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Spare Tire Locked Up

I did a search and saw guys with locks on the actual hole opening used to crank down the spare tire, but mine is different. I have an 02 SuperCrew that I bought used in 03. I attempted to lower the spare for the first time this weekend while doing a lighting project. Pulled out the big crank from under the hood and put it through the spare tire access hole. Couldn't get it to catch on anything so I pulled out the flashlight and took a look. I have a "star-shaped" lock on it! Similar to a wheel lock. I called Discount Tire and they told me those are exclusive from the dealerships. So I contacted the dealership and they said there's no way of getting the key without the documentation of the lock or serial number or something like that. Said its an aftermarket one-off item unique to each vehicle. Basically he implied I was S.O.L. So what are my options at this point? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:44 AM
You might want to try another dealership and see what they say.

The lock you're talking about is a factory installed peice. It was added to the Heritage Bodystyle trucks in the middle of their production run. You may have the "key" in your glove box, if you haven't looked there already.

The dealer should be able to pull the Bill of Material for your truck from the VIN. That should get you the info you need to order the right "key". I know this is the case with most other replacement parts on our vehicles, just not sure how it applies to anything with a lock.

Worst case. Cut out the hanger as it goes thru the hub of the spare tire. Then replace the necessary parts of the spare tire winch to use the earlier style (pre lock) crank. My former 98 didn't require the "key" and my former 03 did.

Easiest solution, hit a junk yard and find a spare wheel/tire. Throw it in the bed of your truck and forget about it....

Hope this helps

Old 03-03-2010, 11:27 AM

Thanks svt. I'll check with another dealership. I'm assuming the original owner never gave back all that stuff. When I bought the truck it was actually missing 3 lug nuts. Didn't realize that until I had driven it home. So I'll contact the other dealers and see what they can offer. I don't really want to carry a spare in the bed of the truck and I'm not big on spending much money on replacing parts to something I've never used.

Quick Reply: Spare Tire Locked Up