Suprise! New Guy With Wheel/Tire Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suprise! New Guy With Wheel/Tire Questions

Howdy all,

I apologies in advance:o

New guy here (Jason). I’ve had F-150’s or 250’s for about 12 years now but I have always leased so I never did mod one to any of them. I work out of my home shop a lot and don’t put a ton of “daily” miles on. I do tow my trailer to the track quite a bit though so I put about 10,000 miles a year on. I would say 60% of my driving is to or from the track towing 5,000-7,000lb at 80mph. I have always run the stock rubber with the F-150’s but I put BFG All Terrains on the 250’s the day I got them because the stock tires are just so small and wimpy looking. Surprisingly the BFG have always held up great even for an “Off Road” tire though. I put 60,000 miles on a set while racing a lot and never had any issues with them.

I’m picking up a 2010 F-150 XLT Crew Cab Standard Box 5.4L with the trimmings and the 18” “Chrome Package” silver in the next few days. Because the lease rates are not very favorable anymore I am buying this time. And because I am buying I’m going to mod the truck a bit. First step wheels and tires, then painting/powdercoating/replacing the bumpers, grill, step bars, etc black. After that a FRPP Whipple H.O. and I’m good.

So here I am, first step, wheels and tires. I know more than I care to about wheels and tires in a roadracing context, two wheels and four. At one time I was getting paid (not much) doing Pirelli and Michelin track testing motorcycle roadrace rubber (not at the same time). Not trying to come off as a know it all, in fact when it comes to truck wheels and tires I am a complete novice. So it would be great if you full timers could point me in the right direction. I have already used the “search” function (imagine that) and I picked a up a ton of good information about F-150 rim/tire fitment, etc but I would like to run some scenarios past you guys to see if I am on the right track.

First let me start by saying I want my cake and eat it too and I know it can’t be done, I hope to find a good balance somewhere. I would like a big set of aggressive looking off road tires but keeping in mind the truck will probably never do more than drift down snowy roads sideways Having A mud or “All Terrain” isn’t necessary. What I do need is a quiet, stable, high mileage, high load rating over road tire but that will just not cut it. I have to be in the middle somewhere. Now for size, I would love a big set but that is not going to happen. I am thinking I want to be between 32-33” in diameter and somewhere around 10.5-11.5” wide. The truck has 18” rims stock and I would like to re-use the TPMS sensors so 18” rims are on the menu. From what I have gathered 18x9” rims seem to be the “standard” upgrade for the F-150 and I have spent all day looking up every black set I could find that I think looks good (industrial/military). Now for the fun part, offset. I understand how offset works 100% and I have looked at as many pictures as I could find with descriptions to get an idea of what I want to get into. Tell me if the following range of offsets and my assumptions about them are correct in regards to fitment please (all rims are 18x9” and tires about 32.5x11”):

-12mm offset- This will leave me with about 2” of tire sticking out past the fenders and I would need fender flares. The inside edge of the tires will be about 1” further away from the center of the truck. Cool look I guess, not sure what I think about the tires being set further out from the trucks centerline though, would it look like I am “trying too hard” for the big tire look with tires that aren’t that big? I am not against flares but it wouldn’t hurt my feelings if I didn’t need to install some. Too bad most of the rims I like are -12mm offset. Thoughts?

0mm offset- Obviously not a lot different than -12mm but the tires would have a slightly narrower track and would help to eliminate that “trying too hard look”. Going to still need to run flares though. And again, a lot of wheels I like are in 0mm offset.

+12mm offset- Seems like a great offset to go with but I think I would still have about 1” sticking out so flares would still be on the table. Narrower track again so that is a plus. Unfortunately I couldn’t find one set of wheels I liked with +12mm of offset. Makes that an easy choice.

+18mm offset- Now it looks like we a cookin’ with gas. I’m thinking I will still have about ½” out past the fenders but maybe not. It’s a gamble but I could possibly get away without flares or at least some pretty small ones. I think the amount sticking out would be small enough to put the rims/tires on, drive it and see what happens. If I need some I’ll put them on, if not I’m golden. But now I am starting to think about clearance on the inboard side of the tires. It looks like I would have plenty, you guys would know better than me. Good news is that I found some rims I like in +18mm so things are kinda coming together there.

+25mm offset- This is where things seem like they could be getting tight. On the plus side I think I could get away with no flares. A big plus for me. I worry about clearance on the inside of the tires a lot now though. Should I be? And here is the kicker, my favorite rim is a +25mm unit (not sure they are in production yet though). If inside rubbing was not an issue this would be the way I would like to go.

+30mm offset- Chances are good flares are not an issue. I can’t imagine there would be inside clearance though. Would there? There are two rims I this size I kinda dig so it would be nice to know how far I can stuff the wheels/tires I there.

Offset comments, advice, pictures, a mild beating would be greatly appreciated. Obviously getting it right the first time is a big deal. I’m a bit of a wheel b!tch, I went through 4 sets on my Mustang before I was happy. I don’t want to repeat anything like that with the truck.

To give you an idea of what wheels/tires float my boat here are my favorites in order. If I am about to buy junk or there is something you think I would like I am all ears:

Wheels:
• Ultra Wheel Gauntlet
• ATX Artillery Black
• ATX Thug
• Pro Comp Series 7005
• KMC Addict XD XD798
• American Racing Clash
• Pro Comp Series 7098
• XD Monster
• KMC XD HOSS
• America Racing Marin
• KMC XD ROCKSTAR Series XD775

Tires:
• Nitto Trail Grappler (I know, too extreme)
• Nitto Terra Grappler
• Yokahama Geolander
• Pirelli Scorpion ATR
• BFG All Terrain
• Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor
• Kumho Road Venture AT KL78

Thanks in advance to those of you out there that have been surrounded by “truck stuff” forever and are willing to deal with my wheel/tires OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) and help point me in the right direction. I tried to cover as much information as I can think of but if anyone has any questions please let me know. I want to get this wheel/tire thing done right on the first shot in a bad way. I have two bare car chassis to put all back together in the next 6 weeks. I really, really want the truck to be fun, fast and easy. I have plenty of stuff that is a PITA.

Thanks again
Jason

Last edited by sqidd; 03-03-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you read any post by owners complaining of vibrations with their OEM Pirelli ATR's you will scratch them off the list. I'd add the Toyo AT to your list as it's basically the same tire as the Nitto Terra Grappler (TOyo manufacturers both). You didn't mention if you have a 4x4 or 4x2. If you have a 4x4, I'd suggest adding a leveling kit and some 305/60-18 (33x12.50), 325/60-18 (33x13.00) or 285/65-18's (33x11.50) on some 18x9's with 5 to 6 inches of backspacing.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by wandell
If you read any post by owners complaining of vibrations with their OEM Pirelli ATR's you will scratch them off the list. I'd add the Toyo AT to your list as it's basically the same tire as the Nitto Terra Grappler (TOyo manufacturers both). You didn't mention if you have a 4x4 or 4x2. If you have a 4x4, I'd suggest adding a leveling kit and some 305/60-18 (33x12.50), 325/60-18 (33x13.00) or 285/65-18's (33x11.50) on some 18x9's with 5 to 6 inches of backspacing.
Exactly the kind of stuff I need to know, thanks The list scratching will commence.

It’s a 4x4, sorry about that.

What does a leveling kit entail, include, do (aside from the obvious), cost and what does it take to install one?

Where will a leveling kit be providing me with extra clearance? Is the leveling kit more necessary with the 325 and 305mm wide tires than let’s say the 285’s? The reason I ask is I will be picking up the truck from the dealer with the wheels/tires already on it and I will need to put the leveling kit on if I get one shortly there after. I will need to drive the truck for a bit though. Obviously if I can’t drive the truck without the leveling kit I have a bit of a problem.

Just to make sure I am on the same page here:

5” backspacing=+12.7mm of offset
6” backspacing=+38.1mm of offset

If I am correct about the above then stuffing some wheels with +25-30mm of backspacing won’t put me in danger of rubbing on the inboard side of the tires? Do I need a leveling kit to clear an offset like this (for the short term)?

And it looks like the tires choices are now down to:

Tires:

• Nitto Trail Grappler (I know, too extreme)
• Toyo Open country MT
• Nitto Terra Grappler
• Yokahama Geolander
• BFG All Terrain
• Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor
• Kumho Road Venture AT KL78
• Toyo Open country TA
• Toyo Open country HT

Those Toyo Open Country MT’s look fantastic! What’s the consensus on “open road” drivability? Too loud? Too aggressive? Is their overall performance on road similar to the BFG AT’s? I’m thinking they are my new favorite tire. They certainly look the part.

Thanks again for your help. It’s invaluable.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A leveling kit should be less than a $100. It's basically just a metal spacer that bolts on top of the front coilover shocks. A lot of members here have found the Autospring kits to be an excellent value. They will give you a little more clearance for your tire/wheel combo. The wider the tire and the wheel and the less backspacing, the more clearance you will need.
The Toyo MT and new Nitto Trail Grapplers probably perform better on pavement and are quieter than any other mud tires, but they won't perform as good as the better all terrian tires.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:02 PM
sqidd, chiming in late here. did you by your wheels/tires yet? I'm kind of in the same boat as you, trying to make a decision on offset, and I'm not interested in a levelling kit.

Right now, I am planning on purchasing Nitto Terra grappler 285/65-18 and XD black monsters 18X9. Debating on -12 or +18mm offset and hoping this set up will fit.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by motograter
sqidd, chiming in late here. did you by your wheels/tires yet? I'm kind of in the same boat as you, trying to make a decision on offset, and I'm not interested in a levelling kit.

Right now, I am planning on purchasing Nitto Terra grappler 285/65-18 and XD black monsters 18X9. Debating on -12 or +18mm offset and hoping this set up will fit.
Got rims and tires. I’ve been waiting on the tires for a week though. They should be here today (fingers crossed).

I went with the Nitto Terra Grapplers in 305/60-18’s opposed to the 285’s that you are getting because of the load rating. Those 285’s have a real high load rating and a real high max pressure. Along with it the carcass is a lot stiffer. I went with the 305’s because they will have a more complaint ride. The load rating is still plenty for towing my car hauler.

At the last second I found some rims that are perfect for me. Just what I wanted, plain, black and pissed off looking. V-Tech Raptor 18x9.5 6x135 +25mm offset.

The rim is 9.5” wide so the offset works out to be like running a 9” rim with a +18mm offset.

Hopefully later today I will get to see how they look. I’ll post pics.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=sqidd;4156124]Got rims and tires. I’ve been waiting on the tires for a week though. They should be here today (fingers crossed).

I went with the Nitto Terra Grapplers

Good call on the terra's

Old 03-29-2010, 11:08 AM
[QUOTE=hunterjh;4156182]
Originally Posted by sqidd
Got rims and tires. I’ve been waiting on the tires for a week though. They should be here today (fingers crossed).

I went with the Nitto Terra Grapplers

Good call on the terra's
Any pics?

Old 03-29-2010, 11:09 AM
awesome - looking forward to seeing how it turned out.

had to google your wheels: http://4wheelonline.com/V-TEC_Raptor.102412

I think those will look great, nice choice.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:06 PM
rok
The V-tec Raptors are the ones I plan to get when i get my truck. Found them on discounttiredirect for like 144 i think for the 18's. But I am gonna do the Machined with the black accents. Gonna get Nitto terra Grapplers as well. I think it came out to about 1.5-1.6k shipped.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:07 PM
rok
Wow just noticed they were 135 on 4wheelonline. Might have to go there.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:09 PM
rok
Originally Posted by sqidd

I went with the Nitto Terra Grapplers in 305/60-18’s opposed to the 285’s that you are getting because of the load rating. Those 285’s have a real high load rating and a real high max pressure. Along with it the carcass is a lot stiffer. I went with the 305’s because they will have a more complaint ride. The load rating is still plenty for towing my car hauler.

At the last second I found some rims that are perfect for me. Just what I wanted, plain, black and pissed off looking. V-Tech Raptor 18x9.5 6x135 +25mm offset.

The rim is 9.5” wide so the offset works out to be like running a 9” rim with a +18mm offset.

Hopefully later today I will get to see how they look. I’ll post pics.

Hey let us know if you get any rubbing or anything. I am looking at going with the 295/70/18 terra graplers on these wheels. A lil smaller in width. Just want to make sure I wont rub unless I may be hitting a nice bump in full lock. Then i wouldnt really car much.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:18 PM
i would also take the kumhos off your list. i had them and only got around 40,000 miles out of them and they were completely gone by then

Old 03-29-2010, 11:47 PM
I would love to see what this combo looks like on your truck. I just got some rims that are the same dimension as yours and am trying to settle on a tire size. Please post pics.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:22 AM
I get no rubbing at full steering lock which I was a little surprised about. There pretty meaty and I don’t have a leveling kit yet.

The Grapplers are pretty damn good for how they look (aggressive). Of course they make more noise than the stock ones but they are not bad at all. Just turning the A/C on and you can’t hear them. I’m still probably going to Dynamat the interior though. I love that stuff. It turns trucks into BMW’s!

Be aware that the 295/70-18’s are rated at 4000lb@80psi opposed to the 305’s which are rated at 3100lb@44psi. The 295’s are going to have a lot less sidewall flex and ride like bricks. The 305’s are already more than my OEM shocks can handle correctly and they don’t see nearly the kinetic energy from hitting a bump as the 295’s will produce (I design suspensions for a living and have worked in the past track testing tires). I was going to go with the 295’s until I saw the load rating and there was no question in my mind about going with the 305’s. And they still have enough of a load rating to handle my enclosed car hauler no problem. The 295’s will theoretically be taller (published sizes are rarely accurate, on thing I learned while tire testing) but I am happy with how the 305’s filled out the wheel wells and I suspect that the 295’s would rub without a leveling kit.

The tires tread sticks out past the fenders @ 12 O’clock just under .75”. The sidewall of the tire is closer to 1.75”. I have been checking out every truck I have come across for the last week with flares and big tires and all of them have flares that don’t cover the entire tire but they covered the tread. None of them had any paint damage. I’m going to go with some .75” Bushwackers to cover the tread but not get that goofy wide flare look. I’ll put them on black and if they look good I’ll take them off and paint them satin black. If they don’t look right I’ll have them color matched.

I need to run outside and snap some shots but its raining right now. I’ll pop some off and post them up in a bit.

Quick Reply: Suprise! New Guy With Wheel/Tire Questions