Bad brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 11:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad brakes

My '07 Supercrew has 82,000 miles and I've never had the rotors turned. I took it in to the local brake shop a few months ago and they recommended about $1400 worth of work that included NEW rotors, pads, calipers, etc. I thought this sounded absurd so I just had them put new pads on. Now here I am 3 months later and the brakes are squeeling like hell off and on, not consistently. I haven't noticed much of a drop off in braking performance, maybe just bit. My question is does all that work and all that money sound legit for the mileage on my truck or was my local repair shop trying to rip me off? Should I take it back in for the major overhaul?

Old 03-04-2010, 12:17 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My truck is 10 years older, so might not all be the same... Well, I have rear drums and you have rear disks, so that's a big difference right there! Ha!

Anyway, I've got 207,000 miles on my truck and I've gotten new front rotors once and have replaced the front pads 3 times since 2001. The current rotors are on their second set of pads. No squeel or nothing and it stops just as good as it ever has..

I've just replaced the rear shoes, but didn't get the drums turned.. I have a post with the details of that, but all seems well and no noise from either end. As far as I know, the calipers and rear cylinders are original... I have flushed the entire brake fluid several times as well over the years.

$1400 does sound a bit high for a 4 wheel brake job, even replacing all the parts like that. For 4 wheel discs, replacing everything, I'd think around an even grand would be more like it....

Mitch

Old 03-04-2010, 09:16 AM
If it was at any type of retail place then that is about correct. Last year Ford quoted me a minimum of $1,000 to just change out all the brake pads and rotors including parts and labor. Now my truck was an early 04 so they said they might get in there and find a caliper seized or a brake line starting to go bad and it then my bill would be even more. I bought powerslot rotors and hawk pads all the way around I think for like $550.00 and paid my friend $100.00 and he did everything for me. He is a mechanic and he said most shops would charge a flat rate of like 5 hours prolly for what he did in less than 2.5 hours. That was using floor jacks and not a lift in his garage and taking his time

Old 03-04-2010, 11:58 AM
You should have put on new rotors with the new pads probably. I would not replace the calipers unless you are having problems (sticking, leaks, etc).

What pads did they put on? Could be crappy pads causing the noise. Or it could be the worn out rotors causing it.

Quick Reply: Bad brakes