New Wheels or Wheel Spacers ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Wheels or Wheel Spacers ?

My 20x9.5 Pro-comps 7005's have 5.25bs and with 38/13.5 Toyo M/ts and 10.5" of lift they look abit tucked in, especially since i put on fender flares.

I really love these wheels but they have too much backspacing for what im running.

My question is , should i get some 1.5" wheel spacers or sell them and buy wheels with the right specs. 20x10 4.5bs ?

Are wheel spacers really that dangerous to use ?

im more concerned about safety and running into problems down the road ?

What do you guys think ?

Last edited by IDNC76; 05-02-2010 at 01:25 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:50 PM

I think the safety factor goes up if you get a set of the spacers which are hub centric and have the lip on them as well.

Here is a set that I have found, but don't like the price.

http://store.allsprings.com/shared/S...rce=googlebase

Old 04-22-2010, 09:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think it's really a safety issue as much as the possiblity of causing vibration problems.
By the way, I like your current wheels better.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:43 PM
I really like your current wheel setup, I have been a huge fan of those. I hope you find a way to make them work cause they look really good on your truck.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I gotta agree with everyone, seems to be the general consensus that only problem might be vibrations.. but I gotta say, I'm not a fan of the other set of wheels.. I like your current much better!

If you like American Racing.. I like these to better

Or the Mickey Thompson Sidebitters but I'm not sure if they make them in 20's

Old 04-22-2010, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by DeereGeff
I think the safety factor goes up if you get a set of the spacers which are hub centric and have the lip on them as well.

http://store.allsprings.com/shared/S...rce=googlebase

im pretty new to wheel spacers , what do you mean have a lip on them ?

Originally Posted by wandell
I don't think it's really a safety issue as much as the possiblity of causing vibration problems.
By the way, I like your current wheels better.
thanks wandell

So biggest problem will be vibrations.

what kind of maintenance do they require, check the torque on the lugs once a month ?

Will i need anything else like longer lug nuts ?

Originally Posted by aPINCHbetter90
I really like your current wheel setup, I have been a huge fan of those. I hope you find a way to make them work cause they look really good on your truck.
thanks man

really want to look into spacers, the 7005's would look awesome if they stuck out another 1" or 2"

Old 04-22-2010, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Shanks12
I gotta agree with everyone, seems to be the general consensus that only problem might be vibrations.. but I gotta say, I'm not a fan of the other set of wheels.. I like your current much better!

If you like American Racing.. I like these to better
those mickey thompsons look sweet i dont think they come in 20's though.

I like the Mojave's for some reason. they look sweet on SbChris's truck.

If i did get new wheels, id want another matte/ cast black wheel.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Those wheels you posted up top look sweet IDNC.

BUT I really really like these so get them
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=290424759503

Old 04-22-2010, 11:42 PM

IDNC76;4189128]im pretty new to wheel spacers , what do you mean have a lip on them ?
Most of the wheel spacers are simply a round spacer which fits flat against both the hub and the wheel. The image of the spacers I posted above has a raised area which acts like the hubs and allows the wheel to be supported by the raised area.

IMHO this allows for less strain on the lugs themselves as the "lip" acts as the hub and helps to support the weight of the vehicle. This let's the lugs hold the wheel to the spacer and hub.

My comments on safety were related to this "lip" as I have read more than one post where people have sheared off the studs in their hubs. I have to believe that supporting the wheel with the center of the spacer would help avoid extra stress on the studs and allow them to stay tight.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by b2therad
Those wheels you posted up top look sweet IDNC.

BUT I really really like these so get them
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=290424759503

those look sweet, but if i went with BMF's i would go with the Novakane's

Most of the wheel spacers are simply a round spacer which fits flat against both the hub and the wheel. The image of the spacers I posted above has a raised area which acts like the hubs and allows the wheel to be supported by the raised area.

IMHO this allows for less strain on the lugs themselves as the "lip" acts as the hub and helps to support the weight of the vehicle. This let's the lugs hold the wheel to the spacer and hub.

My comments on safety were related to this "lip" as I have read more than one post where people have sheared off the studs in their hubs. I have to believe that supporting the wheel with the center of the spacer would help avoid extra stress on the studs and allow them to stay tight.
Ok i gotcha thanks for the explanation.

When i first clicked on the link you posted, i thought hmm $240 for 1.5" spacers isnt that bad, then i read the description a little more carefully , its $240 for a pair

i guess the quality is worth it.

are you running spacers on your truck now ?

Old 04-23-2010, 12:43 AM
Aww thats really lame

BUT I forgive you because novakanes are freakin beast

Old 04-23-2010, 08:46 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the idea of the hub centric lip but not sure how much more effective they would be compared to the much cheaper ones that are hub centric and just have the proper centering lug nuts.

I've been running 1.5" spacers for over a year now and have had no issues and no vibration. That may be different with with a larger tire but I wouldn't think so. I think I only paid like $150 for four off of ebay and no issues.

I'd try em, much cheaper than new wheels .......... unless you are just looking for an excuse to change.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:54 AM

Help me do some math here

found some spacers on Ebay, but they either come in 25mm which is about 1" and 50mm which is about 2".

i like the way the mazzi's stick out, they are 20x10 w/4.5bs and they run just about even with my fender flares

im thinkin 10"-9.5"= .5" for the width of the rims and 5.25"-4.5"= .75" for the bs of the rims, so .5+.75=1.5" which puts me right in the middle of the 2 spacers lol

Also the 25mm spacers are about half the price

which ones should i go with, like the wide stance look (50mm) but i like how the tires run even with the fender flares and the price of the 25mm.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd go with an 1 1/2" spacer. If you go with the 1" you will have to replace all of your studs - the OEM are too long so they extrude through the spacer and don't let the wheel mount flush with the spacer. I've already been down that road.

The 2" is a big spacer and will be hard on components especially with as big of tires and wheels that you are running.

If you're interested I'll make you a deal on mine, I just got new rims and tires and will not need them anymore.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by IDNC76
i guess the quality is worth it.
Bingo, I payed $550 for mine, see imo spacers are like body lifts, they get a bad name because some idiot jimmy rigs it and it dont work so they say its crap. Ive always said you get what you pay for.

Quick Reply: New Wheels or Wheel Spacers ?