hmm, major brake issues....

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 01:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm, major brake issues....

Shortly after getting my truck used, the brake light came on. Checked fluids, etc....didn't notice any issues so I ignore it. A while later I noticed the wheel wobble a little while braking, and pulling to the right leading me to believe the RF caliper is likely hanging up.....it felt like I was pulling a trailer, and wouldn't move sitting in gear at idle. I used the truck a couple times in town recently, and didn't notice the issue. I used it tonight, and it was bad again. When I parked on my driveway which is enough of a grade to make it roll, it didn't. After putting it in park, it creeped backwards slowly against the park pin, with the rear brakes making noise like they were clamping down too.

Is this likely the master cylinder bad? Is it likely my RF caliper is still junk too? That wouldn't break my heart, the pads suck *****....front wheels covered with dust within a day of driving it.

Any advice would be appreciated, I am not really a mechanic and haven't had any confusing brake issues like this before. I am assuming an autozone scan wouldn't show a code for a brake light.....

Old 05-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Additional info: The brake light on the dash is on, has been for a while. The airbag bulb in the dash is out....while I believe unrelated, it's been beeping at me non-stop. Truck is a new style 04 scab 4x4

Last edited by timcole421; 05-08-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:29 PM
check if your parking brake is fully released... pull up on the release lever AND pull up on the parking brake pedal.

Sometimes the springs relax on the pedal and it doesn't fully release... this will make your brake light stay on and if your parking brakes are slightly dragging they will get worse as they heat up and you will feel a vibration.

You can also check your rear brakes after you drive awhile... they should be about the same temperature as the fronts... if they are really hot it means your parking brake is probably dragging

Quick Reply: hmm, major brake issues....