Opinions on firestone tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Destination LE were the best tires I have had on my truck. Great highway tires. Quiet and smooth riding.
Wish I had bought another set but I tried to save money this time around and got a cheaper noisier tire from General.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:53 PM
I'm running destination ATs on my 2wd. Awesome in the snow, quiet, and for the mild off-roading I do I am very satisfied.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:04 PM
When I went looking for tires, I included the Destination AT in my choices. My wife has Destination LE take offs from an F-150 on her Explorer. I bought her truck in Florida and drove it back to Ohio on those LE's. I was impressed with the response, noise and how well they rode. I wanted something a little more aggressive on the F150.
When I got to the tire store I was quizzing the sales guy on all kinds of things. You know the things I had already researched. When I mentioned I never heard good or bad, one way or the other on these tires. I asked what his real opinion of the tires were. He showed me to the door and said "There are 5 guys in the shop that have trucks. They park over there (pointed). Look for yourself." I looked and 4 out of 5 had the Destination AT's on their trucks. That made up my mind. I've had them on the truck now for over a year with the past winter one of the worst for snow. I'm still happy I got them.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:54 PM
thanks for all your input i think this time around im going to get them unless i go in there tomorrow and see something better that i like

Old 05-13-2010, 11:50 PM
I bought a set of 255/70R17 Destination A/T's to replace the OEM General AmeriTrac TR's that came from the factory on my '07 F-150. I got these tires literally a day before we got THREE feet of snow in 36 hours here in upstate NY. These Destination A/T's got me through everything. A week later we got 4 inches of rain, and then the week after that it was 65- 70 degrees out, so you can imagine the flooding and mud and muck the weather had caused. The tires got through everything. The tread was much more agressive than the Generals and they were actually quieter!

HOWEVER, these tires could NOT be balanced and had a horrible wobble / vibration over 60 mph. They were re-balanced lilterally FIVE times to no avail, and all the weights on / weights off seriously scratched up my factory chrome wheels. After 1,381 miles I INSISTED on a new set. I will give Firestone credit and say they gave me another four of these tires, but they had the same build date / code, so they were made in the same batch. I watched the tire guy balance the tires, and they all "zero-ed out". On the way home the NEW set began the same wobble over 60 mph. I went to ANOTHER Firestone store the next morning figuring the only common thing was the balancer at the first place. I had driven 118 miles and 24 hours later and one tire needed 2 oz, one needed 1.75oz, and one needed 1.25oz. Only ONE was still perfectly balanced! After leaving the second Firestone store, the tires began their wobble yet again on the way home. I was done with Firestone tires at this point. I had this second set removed and replaced them with BFGoodrich Long Trail T/A's since I had limited choices in my tire size. It was SO nice to have round non-wobbling tires on the way home. I FINALLY had my smooth riding truck back 1,603 miles and 6 weeks later! The only "victim" was my chrome wheels having had hundreds of weights removed and replaced. I WOULD NOT BUY THESE TIRES!!

Old 05-14-2010, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by copcarguy
I bought a set of 255/70R17 Destination A/T's to replace the OEM General AmeriTrac TR's that came from the factory on my '07 F-150. I got these tires literally a day before we got THREE feet of snow in 36 hours here in upstate NY. These Destination A/T's got me through everything. A week later we got 4 inches of rain, and then the week after that it was 65- 70 degrees out, so you can imagine the flooding and mud and muck the weather had caused. The tires got through everything. The tread was much more agressive than the Generals and they were actually quieter!

HOWEVER, these tires could NOT be balanced and had a horrible wobble / vibration over 60 mph. They were re-balanced lilterally FIVE times to no avail, and all the weights on / weights off seriously scratched up my factory chrome wheels. After 1,381 miles I INSISTED on a new set. I will give Firestone credit and say they gave me another four of these tires, but they had the same build date / code, so they were made in the same batch. I watched the tire guy balance the tires, and they all "zero-ed out". On the way home the NEW set began the same wobble over 60 mph. I went to ANOTHER Firestone store the next morning figuring the only common thing was the balancer at the first place. I had driven 118 miles and 24 hours later and one tire needed 2 oz, one needed 1.75oz, and one needed 1.25oz. Only ONE was still perfectly balanced! After leaving the second Firestone store, the tires began their wobble yet again on the way home. I was done with Firestone tires at this point. I had this second set removed and replaced them with BFGoodrich Long Trail T/A's since I had limited choices in my tire size. It was SO nice to have round non-wobbling tires on the way home. I FINALLY had my smooth riding truck back 1,603 miles and 6 weeks later! The only "victim" was my chrome wheels having had hundreds of weights removed and replaced. I WOULD NOT BUY THESE TIRES!!
That's too bad. Not that it really matters at this point, but do you know if either shop used a Road-Force balancer? They actually measure the high spots on the rims and the tires and match them up accordingly. I have had to use them in the past when tires just had too much runout. Once they were matched up they were typically fine.
Just curious.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by ford norseman
do you know if either shop used a Road-Force balancer?
I learned about Road-Force balancing from dealing with these Firestones. I didn't post it above but I paid out of my pocket to have each set of Firestones Road-Forced. They were simply not round in either case. Even with indexing the rim/tire combo it didn't help at all. The guy knew as soon as the roller was finished that it still wouldn't be right. He mentioned it was "too many pounds" or something.

I have since gone back to the shop with the Road Force to have the snow tires swapped off my wife's van, and 3 needed NO weights at ALL. I am very impressed with that machine.

The shop charges $10 a wheel to spin balance and another $10 per wheel if they need to break the bead and move the rim around. For the results, I think this is a bargain. ALL of my tires will be Road Forced from now on.

Quick Reply: Opinions on firestone tires