brakes and rotors for a 01 ford f150

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 01:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brakes and rotors for a 01 ford f150

i changed the front two brakes and rotors and when i drive and hit the brakes they r pulasting any info on y will be grateful thanks

Old 05-14-2010, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2WD or 4x4? I assume you did the work yourself. It could be a few different things.

First: Did you clean the rotor surface and do a proper brake bed-in procedure? You could easily have a problem with new brake parts if they're not treated correctly from the start.

Next: Check installation. Though pulsating usually means warped rotors, it could be caused by any small imbalance in the rotating assembly. You may not have reinstalled everything properly. You might want to take it all back off and reinstall again. For 2WD: Ensure you repacked the wheel bearings correctly, and put it all back together again. Also make sure you got the spindle nut on correctly (it should give a bit of resistance to finger tightening, but not too tight).

If it's 4x4, I think there's a couple different caveats, like make sure the wheel lug pressure is evenly distributed between the lugs for proper mating to the hub. Someone that owns a 4x4 might be able to help a little better if that's your case.

2WD or 4x4: Installing new caliper shims/springs might also help. If they didn't come with your pads, you can get a set from the parts store for under $10. And use a grease on "moving" parts (like springs) and Disc Quiet (or similar) on the backing surface of the pads (not the side against the rotor).

Finally: It's not very likely, but it's also not unheard of that you may have been sold warped rotors from the manufacturer. You can take them to a brake shop to test this (unless you have or can rig up a tight tolerance rotating caliper assembly to do it yourself). If they came warped, exchange them for another pair.

Last edited by ucfperspicere; 05-14-2010 at 09:51 AM.

Quick Reply: brakes and rotors for a 01 ford f150