Braided stainless steel lined brake lines?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 10:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone installed braided stainless steel brake lines on and noticed an improved pedal feel? It’s worked on other, older cars but I’m getting told it won’t make a difference on a 2005 F150…not sure if I believe it. But if not, no need to waste the money. The truck is at stock ride height so nothing forcing it to be done. TIA.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You know what's really funny??? Braided brake lines are the cheapest and easiest thng you can do to honestly increase the feel and performance of your brakes. People get all bent out of shape when you tell them fancy slotted and cross drilled rotors (of stock diameter) don't change nothin, they don't want to hear it. But no one ever does the brake lines, which are cheaper AND work.

Yes...get them.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:31 PM

The only difference on a braided brake line is a different protection on the outside of the brake line………if your brake lines are bled properly you cannot feel the difference on the pedal between Rubber Coated or Stainless Braided brake lines………it is I believe called Pascal’s Law………..”pressure exerted anywhere in a confined fluid is transmitted equally and undiminished in all directions” So sorry to burst your bubble, it is just a different protection for the brake line…….and for looks.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:09 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuttled
The only difference on a braided brake line is a different protection on the outside of the brake line………if your brake lines are bled properly you cannot feel the difference on the pedal between Rubber Coated or Stainless Braided brake lines………it is I believe called Pascal’s Law………..”pressure exerted anywhere in a confined fluid is transmitted equally and undiminished in all directions” So sorry to burst your bubble, it is just a different protection for the brake line…….and for looks.
Not hardly. Rubber brake lines expand when you press on the pedal. When they're new, they're not that bad but still do none the less. As they get old, it progresses. And it's so progressive, you just get used to how brakes with rubber lines feel and accept that as normal. Pascal's law assumes a container that does not expand, i.e. like you said, "confined". Stainless braided brake lines do not expand, or at least in relation, not near as much.

Based on your reply, I'd be willing to bet $100 right now, you have never had a vehicle in which you converted to braided lines! On every vehicle and motorcycle I have done, it has been an overwhelming, instantaneous, immediately noticeable, improvement in braking feel and performance. No apology needed...you didn't burst anyones bubble.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:17 PM
Will post update on this...

I'm going to have the lines installed and report on the difference. If like past vehicles, it'll make a big improvement.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had steel braided brake lines on my last two trucks: My lifted '95 4door Chevy Tahoe and my current '05 F150, so 13 years driving a heavy, lifted truck. I can safely and honestly say that the increased feel or firmness over rubber brake lines is WAY overblown and probably due to marketing hype or "it makes sense" logic. But in actuality, I could not FEEL a significant difference if any after the upgrade, and believe me, I was looking for it. There may be actual quantative data that exists out there (via hydraulic pressure testing) but my finely calibrated foot couldn't feel the difference.

BUT, having said that, I think there are benefits to steel braided brake lines: First off is they are more resistant to temp changes and abrasion. If you are the kind of guy that doesn't plan EVER to replace your rubber brake lines when they become old and soft, then you are candidate for an upgrade. And finally, if going lifted, you will need to go with longer brake lines anyway and as far as I know, there aren't any extended rubber brake lines available unless you make your own.

I personally like them but bottom line is they're an inexpensive upgrade so why not. But dont expect mind blowing stopping power over your rubber brake hoses.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:10 AM
Results in after having 2005 lines done.

The truck now has new braided SS lined brake lines on all four and unlike several previous cars and two motorcycles, I feel no difference. Although I've yet to do any threshold braking. Nevertheless, it's comforting to know the brake lines will be good for several years to come. FWIW: I've also installed cryogenitically treated Powerslot rotors and Hawk LTS pads. Only
10k miles on the front and the rears are new with the brake lines so too early to report much. The pads have several good reviews but they sure seem to lack the bite of a good, aggressive Pagid. Too bad they don't make pads for trucks.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:03 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Resurrecting an old thread, suggestions on brands for SS brake lines?

Old 02-13-2011, 02:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Really, most any brand will be fine. I've had Earl's and Russell's. Most are universal but some are application specific due to the cofiguration of the banjo fitting (where it connects to your caliper). Look at that configuration -the angle of the bend- and try to match it up. Not sure where you're located in NorCal but Vic Hubbards has 'em as well as any 4Wheel Parts. Get yourself some black zip ties as well as you will need to keep the line away from rubbing against the tire.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:12 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
What does it usually run to have them installed?

Old 03-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Hey Perfution. Hawk make an SUV ceramic pad. THose combines with the Cryo rotors make for a pretty significant difference in braking. Not too mention 200 plus miles.....................................and NO DUST!!

Old 03-07-2011, 10:34 AM
Hey Stovetop did you replace all five soft lines? The two up front, the one that drops down on the rear and the two to the rear calipers?

Quick Reply: Braided stainless steel lined brake lines?