Question for GY Duratrac Owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 10:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for GY Duratrac Owners

So I'm wanting to toss the Goodyear Wrangler SRA's and get an LT tire in the stock 275/65/18 size for my 09. I do not need a LR E tire but LR C tires in this size are very limited.

Duratracs apparently have a softer sidewall so I am wondering how the ride is on them in comparison to a "P" tire or other LR E tires. Some have harped on poor handling of these as well.

Or should I just settle on a LR C choice?

Thanks

Old 05-17-2010, 10:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it's definitely going to ride rougher than a P-series tire, but that's just the nature of an LT tire. out of the LT tires, they are a little softer in the sidewall so i'd imagine they would run a little smoother than most others. my duratracs are load range d, so they are definitely going to be a bit softer than the load range e tires you're looking at.

as far as handling, well they aren't going to handle like your sra's. when you put a tire with an aggressive tread on your truck, you have to expect to lose some handling on the pavement. that's just the way these tires are designed. in most situations, i notice no difference between these duratracs and my old street tires. the only time i've experienced them getting a little squirelly is when i'm making a turn and drive over a bump or pothole or something, but my truck did that before the duratracs. i think it's because my truck is very light in the rear.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:56 PM
do you do any off-road driving? because if you don't, there are plenty of LT tire choices with a highway tread design that will address most of the issues you're concerned with. however, if you're looking for an aggressive off-road tread design, you have to expect there to be some trade-off between off road traction/handling and on-road performance. if there was a tire out there that did both perfectly, that tire company would put all the others out of business.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:24 PM
Not a lot of offroading but I want the capability for some milder stuff.

I've had BFG AT KO on an Exploder in the past and loved them. They handled good as well. Problem is, in a LR E, those tires make for a stiff ride - more than other tires I've heard.

REVO 2 is another option. Otherwise, Destination AT in LR C.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:54 AM
I went from the 20" Pirelli's which provided great summer road traction to 18" Duratrac's and that is where the advantages stopped. I get the same ride and depending on how I put air in my duratrac's, the GY's ride better, especially when I pull anything. They have alot better traction on wet pavement, snow and don't want any experience on ice so I always took it slow either way.

But I can tell you, as soon as I put these tires on, when I turn the wheel these things grab and turn the truck so not so sure on dry pavement at lower speeds <55 mph either. I'm sure at higher speeds and/or faster turns, the sidewalls are going to give.

Tread life is great, have almost 15K on them and plan to measure across all 4 tires in multiple spots to determine my life and final air pressure setting.

I'm actually hesitant to provide some of this info because not sure if I want these tires to be so popular like BFG's - but I want them to succeed because I'm buying them again.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:07 PM
I put a set of DuraTracs on a customer's F150 a while back, and he's been back a couple times for rotations and to have them balanced. I always ask him how they're riding and how he likes them. He absolutely raves about them. He says the traction is great in all conditions, dry, wet, and snow. He says they ride smooth on the highway, and don't ride rough like he says he expected from the heavier load range tire.

The truck was an 05 FX4 with a 3 inch lift on it. Tires were, if I recall correctly, 285/70R17's.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:32 PM
Well if you choose the same size tire I think you will notice a stiffer ride.. However, I went with some 295/65/18's and I honestly believe the ride great! They balanced out great, and the extra security I get when towing heavy loads or spending time in the woods with the E rated tire is SO worth it! I love these tires, and I can't wait to see how good they do in the winter!

Trending Topics

Old 05-19-2010, 01:01 AM
Thanks for the responses. I'm actually wanting a firmer ride than what I have now with the SRA's just not teeth loosening.

I actually have Blizzaks for winter (which seriously ride better than the SRA's) but know a couple people with LR C Duratracs on Jeep, Ranger. Only complaint was ice traction.

BTW, what tire pressures are you running for average driving?

Quick Reply: Question for GY Duratrac Owners