Help with front brake problem on my 04 SCAB

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with front brake problem on my 04 SCAB

I recently replaced the front brake pads with some car quest blues, really just for the heck of it as the pads I replaced were not that bad off, just wanted the better pads. The rotors looked and felt fine so I left them alone (maybe a big mistake) and drove it like that for a few weeks. I also had the brake fluid drained out and replaced by NTB after I did the pads. The other day I smelled burning brakes and looked at the right front wheel and saw some smoke coming from the brakes. I figured maybe the rotors were bad after all so I parked it until I replaced them with some new NAPA rotors. I just drove it around tonight and I am still having a hot brake smell and there is a ton of heat coming from that wheel but no smoke...yet. Any ideas on why this is happening? Maybe a caliper hanging up? How would I check if that's the case?

Last edited by jakano; 05-25-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:47 PM
ya sounds like the piston on the caliper isn't releasing... u can try bleeding the brakes again idk if that would fix it tho.. other than that u mite need to buy a new caliper!

Old 05-27-2010, 12:11 PM
did you clean and grease your sliders when you did your pads???

If not, take it all back apart again and properly clean and grease them.

If that doesn't work, then you might have to replace it. But don't replace them first... unless you just have money to throw away (if that's the case I will send you my address!)

Old 05-27-2010, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by mkosu04
did you clean and grease your sliders when you did your pads???

If not, take it all back apart again and properly clean and grease them.

If that doesn't work, then you might have to replace it. But don't replace them first... unless you just have money to throw away (if that's the case I will send you my address!)
+1, and check how the piston sleeve sits in the caliper bore. Compare it to the others. If it doesn't look right, you could probably rebuild the caliper - or even just reset the existing piston and sleeve - rather than pay for a whole new caliper (I highly doubt there's anything wrong with the actual caliper).

Old 05-27-2010, 05:26 PM
Try to bleed the fronts and see if you are getting good flow from the bleeders. If it is really hard to press the pedal and you are getting poor flow from the bleeders it could be a blockage in the line. That's what I'm dealing with right now. I think mine is at the T where they split off to go to the separate tires.

Quick Reply: Help with front brake problem on my 04 SCAB