Pulling a bit to the left

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by russ10screw
Thanks Kingfish. I really appreciate all your input. I'll report back after I talk to the shop. Thanks again for taking time to answer.
You are welcome. Unfortunately, until it is all checked out, it is all guesswork. Good like with finding the problem.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just an update. It was an unpleasant trip to the shop. They confirmed that my drivers side caliper was sticking a bit. He also said my upper and lower ball joints were shot so those are being replaced. They still have my truck to finish it up, but a quick question. I've had the new pads and rotors on for 3,000 miles. With a minor drag on the drivers side, is it possible that the pad could already be down 50%? He made mention of that when he first examined but didn't reiterate that so I will ask him tomorrow. If so and I need to get new pads for the front, do I need to replace/resurface the rotors? They're brand new slotted rotors and I'm not sure what the procedure is on that. Thanks for the help.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:50 AM
It is possible if the caliper was dragging, that it would be down that much. Also, depending upon how hot they got, the calipers could have been damaged. I had a similar problem, to the point that the metal of the rotor turned blue. The rotors and pads needed to be replaced, not just turned. In your case, a lot depends upon how hot the got.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:32 PM

Man, I hope thats not the case. I'll get the final verdict here in a bit.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:25 PM

Ok, so here's the final damage. I did have bad upper/lower ball joints, so those were replaced and there was a sticky caliper. Fortunately, they were able to repair that one and my rotors and pads were still in really good shape. So I got an alignment after the ball joints were replaced and a repaired rotor. Riding good again! Only cost me $760 to get there! (That was painful!)

Old 07-16-2010, 07:56 PM
Glad to here you were finally able to get it fixed. Unfortunately, nothing is cheap anymore. Especially on a vehicle.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by kingfish51
Glad to here you were finally able to get it fixed. Unfortunately, nothing is cheap anymore. Especially on a vehicle.
Yeah no doubt. Thanks for your input through all of this. Just glad its all figured out. I hate spending money like that on a vehicle this old, but its paid off and still cheaper than taking on a new payment!

Quick Reply: Pulling a bit to the left