Yet Another Brake Pad thread....

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 07:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet Another Brake Pad thread....

I've used the search feature many times for the debate of ceramics vs. semi-metallic, but no clear answer could be found. I've pretty much decided on the EBC slotted rotors and want the best pad for wear and low dust/noise. Through the search, Wagner TQ, CarQuest Blue, Hawk, and EBC Greenstuff 7000 seem to be the heavy favorites. I've read countless posts on ceramics being too harsh on rotors, is that aimed at stock rotors or all? Is there a difference between the Hawk HPS, and Hawk LTS? Thanks.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:05 PM
im putting on Wagner TQs tomorrow. i have read good reviews on them and got them at my local Advance auto

Old 07-10-2010, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by 4wd150
im putting on Wagner TQs tomorrow. i have read good reviews on them and got them at my local Advance auto
Ceramic or Semi-Metallic? Stock rotors?

Old 07-10-2010, 08:17 PM
semi metallics and theyre going on my same current rotors which are OEM replacements only a couple years old. only reason im replacing is because my pads now are noisy as can be and have been since the day were put on and im sick of everyone looking at me like im an idiot in parking lots and such lol

Old 07-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I turned my stock rotors and installed Thermos, it does perfect. NO dust and NO noise! $30 rebate too!

Old 07-11-2010, 10:13 PM
I want to run ceramics with the new rotors, but have gotten mixed reviews on if they are too harsh. Or is that just on stock or OEM replacement rotors? The Hawk LTS or HPS, and EBC Greenstuff, are they carbon pads? How different is the compound from the ceramics?

Old 07-12-2010, 08:47 PM
i know its only been a day since i installed them, but these Wagners seem to be awsome. as long as i dont get dust like avfrog said im happy, because i have polished aluminum wheels that i ALWAYS keep shiny lol

Old 07-13-2010, 09:49 AM
I have had ceramics on for a little while now and LOVE them. VERY low dust and even when you have some dust it is like a clear film and not like the red stock dust. As far as being harder on the rotors....I dont know. I have 30 some K on my truck and have turned the rotors once and will be buying a new slotted set soon. I brake my truck like it is a sports car so YRMV

Old 07-13-2010, 12:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I have TQ ceramics on stock rotors. No dust and they work very well. I have not had any additional rotor wear as far as I can tell.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:18 PM
I tested the HAWK HPS, I did not like his braking ability is poor when compared with the ceramics, the HPS need to stay warm, if not, do not stop the vehicle. The LTS is the most suitable for these heavy vehicles, better than the ceramic and the HPS.I tested the 3 HAWK, so I can tell.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:24 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Love my Hawks

Old 08-28-2010, 08:09 PM
I just had a set front/rear of EBC Yellow Stuff pads and slotted rotors come in the other day. Just waiting on the RCD lift, and I'll put on the new rotors and pads when the front end is torn apart for the lift install.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:32 AM
After a little research on these threads, I decided to change my pads by myself for first time. Originally had all four wheels re-padded @ 37K because I would occasionaly tow close to 6,000 lbs and front left rotor was shot. Now, @ 94K, decided to save some loot and do myself.

I used the Wagner TQ semi-metallic pads ($67 with lube & bottle of cleaner), lifetime warranty, $15 buck rebate (mail-in..grrr!) for fronts. First time for me to do anything with brakes, just followed Chilton's step by step, and only took me about an hour & half from begin to completion.

Rotors were in great shape thankfully, and just re-used the v-springs & slippers that vAuto Zone said they didn't sell...only Ford dealers. Don't know if exactly true since I only went to one place, but oh well.

Have a couple of hundred miles on 'em already, and no chatter, sqeaks, "throbbing" from warped rotors. I am very pleased with them.

Oh yeah, for any other nube doing this for first time, make sure you take the cap off of Master Cylinder & set the pistons almost or flush with caliper using @ least a 6" C-clamp! That was a real joy with the first one! :o

Eff the dealerships/mechanics taking advantage of something you will feel proud to do yourself.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:16 PM
There is a difference in the Wagner TQ's So they make TQ's in Ceramic AND semi-metallic? Do both of those virtually produce NO dust? I have a set of polished wheels myself and I HATE removing the brake dust and polishing them ALL the time!! What would be best for stock replacement rotors? Ceramic or semi-metallic?

Old 09-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I read a great deal here and other places before I did brakes earlier this year.........

But, I let a guy at O'Reilly talk me into the Performance Friction instead of the Wagner TQ. The Performance Friction have been OK......but......they still dust a little to much up front for me.........I think I'm going to go ahead in the next month or two and put the Wagner TQs on.

NOTE: To me....more important than the pads/dust are the stock rotors. There is a great deal written here about all of the problems with warped stock rotors. I strongly suggest you never buy the stock rotor replacement........and.......whatever rotor u use.......have it cryogencally treated before installing. You can buy croyogenics or buy rotors and find someone local to treat. It cost me about $100 total to treat 2 front rotors.

Quick Reply: Yet Another Brake Pad thread....