Vibrations when braking

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Vibrations when braking

Hey guys, I am new to the forum and I have a 2006 F150 Lariat Super Crew. I have some vibration in the steering wheel when braking. I replaced the front 2 rotors and also the right front speed sensor. (went bad after replacing the rotors) I also had the rear rotors checked and they are fine. I did this when I was home on leave from Iraq and everything seemed fine but my wife is saying that she still feels some vibrations again. She also said she thinks the rear is vibrating too but isn't sure. I wont be able to drive the truck again until September to find out for sure so I was wondering what else it could be so I can go ahead and order the parts before I get home. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 07-18-2010, 02:18 PM
Ok, let me try to rephrase this since no one has replied. Initially my 2006 F150 had some serious vibration in the steering wheel when braking. I replaced the 2 front rotors and had the rear ones machined and it fixed alot of the vibrations. Shortly there after my ABS light came on and I had some false modulation when braking, so I replaced the right front speed sensor and it fixed the problem. Now that I am back in Iraq my wife says she still can feel vibrations when braking. I am hoping she is paranoid and is only feeling the ABS but my question is this. Is there anything else that could be causing any abnormal vibrations? When I get back I am going to check the lower end ball joints to see if they are good to go. I hope someone can post something to help a fellow brother out. Thanks guys!

Old 07-18-2010, 04:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You should not feel the ABS during normal braking operations. The ABS modulator happens so fast that you will not recognize it as a vibration. It only happens when your brakes lock up.

I would have the ball joints checked. Very common on these trucks is for the lower ball joints to have excessive play. I would also have the tie rod ends checks.

Also have the wheels balanced. I know you said it happens during braking but dynamic balancing (or lack there of) can be magnified during braking.

And you might not want to hear this but these trucks can warp some rotors. Even if they are new if you over torqued the wheels, didn't set the pads properly, super heated the rotors and ran through a puddle, they could have warped again. Hope this helps

Old 07-18-2010, 04:56 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If she is one or those drivers who "cover" the brake pedal when she drives, that could build excess heat. Especially on new brakes and rotors.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:43 PM
I will keep that in mind when I get home as a list of things to check out. Thanks for the input guys.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:20 PM
I would say check the suspension stuff too as well as tie rods. Other than that, how new/old are the pads? Try calipers too.

Quick Reply: Vibrations when braking