P-Metric or Load "E"

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P-Metric or Load "E"

As usual, I am looking at tires long before I need them. I expect to need them in another 2-3 months. The truck came with P275-65-18 and I plan to stick to this size. I was considering Load "E" rated tires but have been told that due to the fact that they are much heaver, my fuel mileage will decrease and the ride will become rough.

The questions is, should I stick to P-Metric or move up to Load "E". I do tow a trailer and have no problems with the OEM P-Metric tires.

Anyone have any experience with this...??? Your opinion...
Thanks.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:58 AM
Well E load range (10 ply) might be overkill for a half ton, why not go with D load range. They're an 8 ply, and still rated for approx 3000lbs.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Bor543v, Thanks for your input.....

Old 08-14-2010, 12:16 AM
I think a load range "C" would be plenty for you. Question though; If the p-metric has been fine, why would you need more?

Reason I ask is this, I run a p-metric now and haul lots of firewood and pull a light trailer all the time with my truck. I've run heavier ply tires but didn't really have to. If the p-metric tire was filling my needs , I wouldn't spend money on a different tire unless money were no object or I was just wanting to try something new.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would like to have a lower load range, but my 33's only come in E. If you haul alot, consider a higher rate, but I didn't have any options. You get used to the rougher ride after a while.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:44 AM
There is a weight difference between P metric and LT tires. Comparing your stock BFG's to the factory optional Wranger ATS C range. It's a 6 pound per tire difference. If you bumped up to the E range Wranger, it's only 3 pounds more per tire. More unsprung weight can change the handling characteristics of a vehicle. But the overall improvement in tire performance by changing to a LT C or E range will outweigh any difference. Heck, Ford did nothing else when you added the option LT tires, so that should tell you something.

Your mileage wont change enough to matter. It will change more if you go from the non-agressive tire tread of the stock BFG's to virtually any other all terrain tire. But the drop, if any is not enough to worry about.

LT tires do make the ride a little firmer, but rough? No, not unless your running too much tire pressure. Or at least that's my opinion. Changing P metrics to E range is the first mod I do to my trucks. Heck, I typically make this change before I'm filling the fuel tank for the second time.

FWIW, your tire guy is offering up legit reasons for not recommending the upgrade to LT tires. He's seen it many times where folks come back complaining about the ride, the mileage or whatever because they wanted the change. Now they want that stock ride back and he's stuck eating some or all of the cost of those LT tires that you didn't like.

But the short on this. If your content with the OEM P metrics. Buy another set. If you want more capabilities and durabilty, then upgrade.

Quick Reply: P-Metric or Load "E"