Toyo MT's vs Kumho RV MT? Honest Compairison People!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 07:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Toyo MT's vs Kumho RV MT? Honest Compairison People!

I am now in the market for new tires. I currently have 22" wheels and I am tired of the SS Irok's. They are a great tire in the snow / mud but they wear WAY to fast under my driving conditions.
So here is what I want.
1. A tire that will take as much pavment time as you can expect from a mud tire without burning up in 20,000 miles!

2. Good in the snow

3. Does not ware down - requiring a rebalance every 5,000 miles.
I am pretty sold on the Kumho Road Venture MT and the Toyo Open Country MT
I like the Nitto mud grappler but I have seen they wear as fast as my super swampers when dirven on the pavment.
Out of my two selected tires, which one has a harder rubber compound?

Please only honest reviews from first hand knowledge.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:53 PM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I've been running the Toyo MT's (295x70x17) since last November and have about 14k miles on them. I run on the highway 400 to 500 miles a week and they have been better on the highway then I thought for a mud terrain tire. Also better in the rain then I expected too. The mud around here will just about stop about any MT tire so that's not a problem. Price and weight are maybe the Toyo's biggest drawback's. I expect to get at least 40k miles out of them easily. Never had any Kumho's but from what I hear they're a great tire also. I'm sure some Kumho owner's will chime in. It only snow's down here every 5 to 10 year's so I can't comment on the way they handle it.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've read nothing but good reviews on both.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:46 PM

I've not owned either set but my brother has owned both on his 1500hd. Bought the toyos used and got another 10k out of them and still turned around and sold them for 500 bucks. Great tire and very quiet. I think you could easily get 50k out of them. He's now running the Kumho's in a 38 and has close to 30k on them and we're just now starting to see the wear on them. I would imagine you could get 50k out of them as well. Tires are a little louder than the toyos but he went from a 35 to 38 so I'm not sure if the size changed the sound but they are still very quiet just a little hum to them but nothing compared to your iroks. My dad has a set of 41s in those. I would say if you ever go offroad the kumhos pull much better. For the price difference I would go with the kumhos. Sorry for the ramble, just had a lot of points to cover in my head lol.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by Lightning Expo
I've not owned either set but my brother has owned both on his 1500hd. Bought the toyos used and got another 10k out of them and still turned around and sold them for 500 bucks. Great tire and very quiet. I think you could easily get 50k out of them. He's now running the Kumho's in a 38 and has close to 30k on them and we're just now starting to see the wear on them. I would imagine you could get 50k out of them as well. Tires are a little louder than the toyos but he went from a 35 to 38 so I'm not sure if the size changed the sound but they are still very quiet just a little hum to them but nothing compared to your iroks. My dad has a set of 41s in those. I would say if you ever go offroad the kumhos pull much better. For the price difference I would go with the kumhos. Sorry for the ramble, just had a lot of points to cover in my head lol.
That helps alot. Thanks for the great info. Anyone else have any info they wouldnt mind sharing?
Thanks all who have so far.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:57 PM
i know it's not part of your comparison. but don't discount the new cooper stt's. i have a set of 35's on my jeep and i swear there is nothing they can't do..i am putting toyo mt's on my superscrew, but only because someone gave me two at 'slightly used" and i have only heard good things about all of those tires..

Old 08-16-2010, 03:33 PM
I have owned both and they are both great tires! Only downside is the kumho's are directional and are not true to size.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:50 PM
I have the Kumho's and have no complaints. I've only put 7k miles on them and have worn down very little to none. They are a little shorter than the Toyo and are also 10lbs/tires lighter.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by extremeford4x4
I have owned both and they are both great tires! Only downside is the kumho's are directional and are not true to size.
Actually this is great news!!!!!

Originally Posted by HighOn22's
I have the Kumho's and have no complaints. I've only put 7k miles on them and have worn down very little to none. They are a little shorter than the Toyo and are also 10lbs/tires lighter.
I did not know they run short. Now you have me thinking. Honestly, how tall are the 37-13.5-22?
I currently have my 35-14.5-22 Irok's and they fit great under my truck with the Mazzi Hulk wheels. I wonder if I could tuck the narrower 37" Kumho's? I was planning on lifting it more to fit them but now I wonder if I could fit it alright how it sits?

This is great info guys!

Old 08-16-2010, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by powderhound
Actually this is great news!!!!!

I did not know they run short. Now you have me thinking. Honestly, how tall are the 37-13.5-22?
I currently have my 35-14.5-22 Irok's and they fit great under my truck with the Mazzi Hulk wheels. I wonder if I could tuck the narrower 37" Kumho's? I was planning on lifting it more to fit them but now I wonder if I could fit it alright how it sits?

This is great info guys!
I'm not 100%, but with out going look at the specs on Kumho's page I think they're 36.8. If you have the Mazzi Hulks w/ a -25mm offset then you will have to lift your truck. I have the 22x11 -25 diesels and when I had only 6" of lift I had to trim a little for 35's. You will more than likely need to lift another 2".

Old 08-16-2010, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by flys-f150
i know it's not part of your comparison. but don't discount the new cooper stt's. i have a set of 35's on my jeep and i swear there is nothing they can't do..i am putting toyo mt's on my superscrew, but only because someone gave me two at 'slightly used" and i have only heard good things about all of those tires..
I owned a set of STT's about 8 years ago. Yes they are great tires but unfortunately they do not supply tires for 22" rims. To bad!

Old 08-17-2010, 10:43 AM
Does anyone have knowledge on how short exactly these 37-13.5-22 really run? I see there website calls them at 36.8" I believe. Are they actually that close to 37" or are they possibly shorter? I would love to tuck them under my truck without having to add a spacer under my 6" lift. Wonderering if anyone has done this before?

Old 08-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by powderhound
Does anyone have knowledge on how short exactly these 37-13.5-22 really run? I see there website calls them at 36.8" I believe. Are they actually that close to 37" or are they possibly shorter? I would love to tuck them under my truck without having to add a spacer under my 6" lift. Wonderering if anyone has done this before?
NO, you WILL NOT be able to fit them with only a 6" lift. If I'm not mistaken you have Mazzi Hulks 22x11 -25 offset? That's the same size wheel I have. When I first lifted my truck all I had was 6" of lift with 35" Nitto TG's and they rubbed. So a 37" tire will deffinatly rub. The Kumho's are shorter than the Toyo, but not enough to fit with 6" of lift. Even if you had a 22x9.5 w/ 0 offset they wouldn't fit. Look at my photos and you can see how much room I have. I believe I have some in one of my albums where the wheel is turned and it's about an inch from hitting my fender flare.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by HighOn22's
NO, you WILL NOT be able to fit them with only a 6" lift. If I'm not mistaken you have Mazzi Hulks 22x11 -25 offset? That's the same size wheel I have. When I first lifted my truck all I had was 6" of lift with 35" Nitto TG's and they rubbed. So a 37" tire will deffinatly rub. The Kumho's are shorter than the Toyo, but not enough to fit with 6" of lift. Even if you had a 22x9.5 w/ 0 offset they wouldn't fit. Look at my photos and you can see how much room I have. I believe I have some in one of my albums where the wheel is turned and it's about an inch from hitting my fender flare.
Yes I am running the Mazzi's I currently have a tire that measures 35.1 inches tall and it is 14.5 wide. It fits great other than if the suspension compresses while a hard turn it barely rubs on the back inner fender plastic. Not bad considering it is 14.5 wide with that off set.
So I would think a tire that is 1.5 inches taller and 1 inch narrower should ever so slightly tuck in there?
I didnt see any pics with your wheels turned, that would help alot. So Highon22's, what combo did you do on your lift to get that stance? Looks great.
I called Rize and they have the rear blocks and U bolts for $275. Then I need to get the front leveling block on aswell.
Can you email me some close up pics if I need?
appreciate the help.

Last edited by powderhound; 08-17-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:35 PM

Last edited by powderhound; 08-17-2010 at 04:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Toyo MT's vs Kumho RV MT? Honest Compairison People!