Big Brake Kits and Spare Tire Sizes

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 01:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Brake Kits and Spare Tire Sizes

I'm out of town, or I'd be able to take a look at the truck and measure this stuff out myself... but while on this trip I found a set of 15" Saleen brakes. I have a BBK on my Roush Mustang and love them, and I have plans to eventually to upgrade the brakes on my '04 FX4 as well. Since this BBK presented itself unexpectedly, I'm trying to think through my options and decide if I want to snag them while I'm here.

The question is, will I have to go to a 20" wheel to clear these brakes, and if so can I fit a 20" in the factory location as a spare as well?

I'd also be interested to know the stock brake rotor size on the FX4s. I have some old big/multi-piston calipers laying around the garage from past mustang setups I might be able to make work. Should be able to get to at least a 14" brake on the 18's. Any other recommendations for a cheap upgrade if I want to keep with the OEM wheels?

Thanks!

Last edited by gsea; 08-18-2010 at 01:13 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:46 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Wilwood big brake kit is a 16" rotor and the minimum wheel size is 20"
So I don't know if a 18" wheel would be enough clearance for a 15" rotor?

Here's a template that you can verify clearance with.
Scroll down to the appropriate vehicle then click and print.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wheel_fitment.shtml

Last edited by 88racing; 08-18-2010 at 01:48 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:23 AM
Those are handy templates, thanks for the link. Unfortunately I am out of town without the truck, so I can't use them at the moment. I was hoping someone might be able to answer some of those question for me to help me decide if I should pick these brakes up while I'm here and take them back home.

Last edited by gsea; 08-18-2010 at 02:25 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:08 AM
Is it a complete kit?

What parts are you looking at ? I had found a set of saleen calipers , and after ckecking with Saleen the Rotors and hubs would be needed and they were pretty pricey . Arnt all the Saleen trucks 2wd ? I also would like a BBK but dont know what my options are with a 4wd.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:03 AM
Agreed. BBK's are always the first upgrade I make to my vehicles, but I don't really want to have to move to 20" wheels.

I'm looking at everything but the rotors. I did a quick search and it looks like the brakcets bolt up to the stock knuckles fine and the correct size rotors can be found faily inexpensively, albeit not from Saleen themselves.

How big are the stock brakes on these rigs? Anyone know? Seems like every BBK out there is a 15" setup, so I'm guess the stock rotor size is 14"? You'd think someone would still put togehter a kit with 14's and better calipers?

Also, anyone have pics of a BBK on 20's on a leveled truck?

Last edited by gsea; 08-20-2010 at 12:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Big Brake Kits and Spare Tire Sizes