Advice for 20" tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 01:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice for 20" tires

I am looking for any advice on tires for my 08 Screw.

Current set up:
Tire = Pirelli Scorpion ATR P275/55 R20
Mileage = 41K
Driving conditions = mainly highway and wintery snow conditions – I live in NJ. I don't off road at all.
Driving style = average city driving style, 70-85 mph on highways, somewhat cautious in the snow.

I have to replace my tires because two of them are worn down close to the wear bars and I can’t get rid of a 70mph shake in my steering wheel even after balancing. If it wasn’t for the shake I could have held out until November….another 6k miles.

I’m not ruling out going with Pirelli’s again but I want to know what other tires people are going with.

I guess I’m looking for what everyone wants (non off-roader). Ideally, I would like:
- a highway tire - that handles Northeast weather
- lasts for 40-50 K miles
- doesn’t break the bank

Any help that anyone can give will be much appreciated.

Thanks for any advice ,
Sean

P.S. I’m not looking to go with bigger tires.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:04 PM
I had great luck with these tires in a 15 and 17 inch size on a 2003 Chevy S-10, and on my 2002 F-150 (respectively). They are available in 275/55/20 as well. Great ride, good traction, and really good wear. Available everywhere (Tire Rack, Costco, et-al.).

"The LTX M/S is Michelin’s Highway All-Season light truck tire developed for vans, pickups and sport utility vehicles, as well as commercial light truck applications to combine long tread life with all-season capabilities. The LTX M/S is designed to deliver a smooth, quiet ride along with traction in dry, wet and wintry conditions, including in light snow.

The LTX M/S features a long wearing, all-season tread compound molded into a symmetric design featuring Michelin’s MaxTouch Construction to produce a contact patch shape that promotes good wear by evenly distributing acceleration, braking, and cornering forces. A symmetric tread design featuring offset circumferential grooves, independent tread blocks and high-density siping delivers grip in almost any kind of weather..."

Old 08-18-2010, 07:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have LTX M/S on my truck. they are great tires!!

Old 08-18-2010, 10:24 PM
i have 275-60-20 michelin ltx at2s on my 08' and i really like them......

Old 08-18-2010, 10:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The number one rated tire for your truck and the way you drive is the Michelin LTX M/S2. That will be my first choice when I replace my Pirellis. My Second would be the Goodyear Fortera Tripletred, and my third would be to go with the Michelin Cross Terrain SUV. I had the Cross Terrain on my last truck, and they were a smooth quiet ride with amazing traction and recovery in the snow.

Tire Survey Results

Old 08-19-2010, 09:47 AM
Thank you very much for the responses. Looks like I'm going with Michelin.

Thanks again.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:51 PM
I went with 285/50/20 Good year GT II tires. I'm very happy with this set up.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:53 PM
I read some reviews on tirerack about the Michelin LTX M/S2 and they are definitely rated the highest.

Question, how does the Cooper Zeon LTZ compare to the Michelins? I think the Coopers are almost $100 cheaper per tire. I've heard some good things about the Coopers but I don't want to go with the cheaper ones just because they are cheaper in price.

Quick Reply: Advice for 20" tires