Sick of tire salesman or any one that recommends tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK How does the TPM's work switching them to different wheels? Are they an easy change over or will I need new bands too? Advise please.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:11 AM
Very Good Point

Originally Posted by 88racing
Where are you buying them at?
Independents
Wally World
Sears
Tire chains.
Etc..........
88 racing hit it on the head, where are you buying?

I bought a set of tires from one of the sources 88 listed and was going through an evolution of taking them back due to age related tread seperations, but their warranty was based on usable tread left, so the source was still sticking me for more $.

Tires have a production date, and how many know whether they are getting aged tires that will wear down quickly due to the tire composition breaking down? Next time you see tires on sale get the salesmen to show you the manufacture date on them.

I'd go with a trustworthy Michelin dealer that can show me how old the tires are.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:04 AM
I have some stock xlt 17's with 255/65/17 michelin ltx as with plenty of tread I could sell you if you want to try out the michelins
They are 756 before shipping from tire rack, I'll sell you the wheels, tires, centercaps and lugs for 400+shipping. if you want I can take a pic with a penny in the tread to show how much life they have left

Old 08-23-2010, 11:35 AM
I have been buying from a local tire dealer for 23 years that I believe is very reputable. He is a Good Year, Cooper, Yokohama dealer but he can order anything you want. I know people that have known this guy in school and has never been dishonest. He does a very brisk tire business. I just think his prices are on the high side.

I don't really blame him for the tires not lasting...I'm not sure he really listens to what a person needs.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by streetassasin
I have some stock xlt 17's with 255/65/17 michelin ltx as with plenty of tread I could sell you if you want to try out the michelins
They are 756 before shipping from tire rack, I'll sell you the wheels, tires, centercaps and lugs for 400+shipping. if you want I can take a pic with a penny in the tread to show how much life they have left
Thanks so much for the offer but I have so much money now in my XLT 17" wheels, plus lug nuts and need tires bad. I may have to move my 17's for cash for 18" tires to avoid new TPM bands for the 17's. God what a dilema.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:07 AM
After more research I have found a local Michelin dealer that quoted me a price of $221.00 for the LTX's mounted & balanced on my 17" XLT wheels. Probably the way I'll go. I can get back to factory tire size, have a E rated load tire (LT245/75/17)as well as a good mileage tire. My current dealer whom I purchased the Mastercrafts from said he can get LXT's at $245.00 each. He pricing himself out of the market. So much for 20 years of loyalty on my part. You would think that all of the tires I have purchased in 20 years would warrant a price match or price beat to keep my business.

Most likely my 18" after market wheels do have reusable TPM bands so they will transfer. If not I'll get some.

I thank you all for your help and suggestions...I may have more before it is over. Now to get the cash together for the tires.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:26 AM
Never seen such a large amount of whining on "tire mileage"...

Hell i used to consider myself lucky if I went 5000 miles on a set of tires.

I have about 25k on my current set, and it's the longest I have ever kept 4 tires.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:57 AM
I have Toyo AT's, got them at the end of June 2009, still over half tread today in August 2010, put about 22,000 miles on them since then. Never rotated, never nothing. Never even adjusted the air. Still got plenty of life in them, couldn't be happier.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by 4.2trimble
Super swamper boggers, should be the perfect tire for you.
Underrated post.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:28 PM
You shouldn't worry about who gives the advice, do the leg work. Only take advice from someone who has or has had the tires they are giving advice on. And you get what you pay for. I've had BFG AT's, great tire. I run nitto trail grappler M/T 295/55/20 now. They are soft enough to stay relatively quiet on the highway and hard enough to wear evenly and slowly but they are 350 per tire. They have a warranty and that's important. Don't buy what's cheapest or on clearance. It's cheap cause it's made cheap, it's on clearance cause nobody wants it! I have a friend that is a store manager at discount tire and he knows nothing about tires, none of them do. They are SALESMAN for crying out loud they will tell you anything is great!

Old 08-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by FATHERFORD
Never seen such a large amount of whining on "tire mileage"...

Hell i used to consider myself lucky if I went 5000 miles on a set of tires.

I have about 25k on my current set, and it's the longest I have ever kept 4 tires.
I'm not made of money like you must be. When I spend over $800.00 on tires I do not want to do it every year. If you don't like the whining don't post of my thread.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:07 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Good Choice on the LTX's you wont be dissapointed

Old 08-25-2010, 01:15 PM
I run TOYO and have never had any probs them. Goodyear tho wear out fast.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:09 PM
Personally I think BFG are the best. Never experienced Toyos yet (soon though) or Coopers but its sounds like there great tires. You pay for quality unfortunately. I would never put tire that are under $200 on a 5600lb truck.

As for Michelins, they have always turned out to be a step down from the stockers that were on the vehicles I've owned before. I say this only in respect to snow and ice (winter driving up here). On dry pavement they were great and do last a long time. If you want a long lasting tire that will be good for 3 or more years, dish out for some BFG ATs. You won't be disappointed. Great in all weather, quiet and last forever.

When you say Wrangler I assume you are referring to Goodyear. I haven't met anyone who hasn't had great luck with Goodyears. They always seem to last a long time.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by Altatruck
Personally I think BFG are the best. Never experienced Toyos yet (soon though) or Coopers but its sounds like there great tires. You pay for quality unfortunately. I would never put tire that are under $200 on a 5600lb truck.

As for Michelins, they have always turned out to be a step down from the stockers that were on the vehicles I've owned before. I say this only in respect to snow and ice (winter driving up here). On dry pavement they were great and do last a long time. If you want a long lasting tire that will be good for 3 or more years, dish out for some BFG ATs. You won't be disappointed. Great in all weather, quiet and last forever.

When you say Wrangler I assume you are referring to Goodyear. I haven't met anyone who hasn't had great luck with Goodyears. They always seem to last a long time.
Well now you've met me. Wranglers SUCK!!

Quick Reply: Sick of tire salesman or any one that recommends tires