Changing TPM to new wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HCBPH
Actually my truck doesn't. I've got the Heavy Duty Payload Package on my truck and in OS that excluded TPS just like F250's and above did at that time.
Not sure how they manage that as the final rule by NHTSA states:

Beginning November 1, 2006, all passenger cars and light trucks, multipurpose passenger vehicles, and buses under 10,000 pounds GVWR will be required to comply with the requirements in the second part of this final rule. The agency will publish the second part of this final rule by March 1, 2005, in order to give manufacturers sufficient lead time before vehicles must meet the requirements.
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/ruli...nal/index.html

Old 08-22-2010, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kingfish51
Correct, I am one of the ones that tried it early on. it does not work.
interesting, i know guys that are using this method on their late model mustangs and gt500's.

they have 0 issues

Old 08-22-2010, 05:51 PM
The bands from discount tire are reusable. They are like radiator hose clamps, just larger. So that was a plus for me.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:41 AM
Originally Posted by HCBPH
I thought they sold bands for them so assuming they're the ones that mount that way, why couldn't you? Same thing with the valve stem ones, don't they just unscrew?

Sorry, neither of my trucks have them and you peaked my interest.
Your 07 does have a TPMS setup. The OE bands are not the type like radiator hose clamps where you can tighten or loosen. The are the type that is crimped on. One use only.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TRMN8TR
interesting, i know guys that are using this method on their late model mustangs and gt500's.

they have 0 issues
If they don't make trips over 20 miles at highway speeds, they might never see a light. It takes about that time/distance at speed over 25mph for the light to come on, unless the tire is low while stopped for over an hour.

Quick Reply: Changing TPM to new wheels