Whats the best a/t tire for hwy

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put on a set of General Grabber AT/2 35's about a month ago. Tires were very highway friendly as they rode great, looked good and were very quite. I had to get rid of them though because I could not get rid of the vibration with them. May of just been the set's (more than one set) that I had. Anyway I put some 35" Toyo A/T's on and am pretty happy. They are a bit louder, ride a bit stiffer and are about 10#'s per tire heavier (makes a difference on 35's) than the General's but they are vibration free

Old 08-24-2010, 07:33 AM
Originally Posted by Shooter-MMA
I put on a set of General Grabber AT/2 35's about a month ago. Tires were very highway friendly as they rode great, looked good and were very quite. I had to get rid of them though because I could not get rid of the vibration with them. May of just been the set's (more than one set) that I had. Anyway I put some 35" Toyo A/T's on and am pretty happy. They are a bit louder, ride a bit stiffer and are about 10#'s per tire heavier (makes a difference on 35's) than the General's but they are vibration free

Thanks, Ya see thats what I was looking for. An opinion from someone who has run a particular tire loved it or hated it and why. Thank you Shooter.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:10 AM
BFG's!!!

Originally Posted by PawPaw
I've owned the BFG and the Toyo AT's and also ran Pro Comp's as spares. I would have to go with the BFG AT's mainly because of the ride and the mileage you can get out of them. I would also check out the Mickey Thompson AT's which have gotten favorable comment's on this forum.
x100 on the BFG's!!! Best a/t on the road, of course that's just MHO and experience. I average 140,000 miles on those (I know there's alot of nay sayers out there who don't believe me, so go ahead, call me a lier) all depends on your driving habits and how often you rotate them. I know some who have had the Nitto's and MT's, and they were very satisfied with those, they just didn't care for the noise or tire wear. As for the Goodyears, I don't know anything about their a/t's but I know for a fact the Wrangler rt/s tires are crap, wife had a flat friday and only thing I could find wrong with it was possibly a broken belt. Went online to get ratings and reviews, and reports weren't at all good for most of the Wranglers that were reviewed.

Last edited by mitch150; 10-01-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:04 PM
I think I'm sold on the BFG's but it looks like I just missed a tire rebate. I wonder if I should wait and see if another rebate comes around or just pull the trigger on those sweet 305's.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:20 AM
Ok now I'm flip floping. It looks like the 295/70/18 nitto terra grappler is $60 less per tire and is still getting good reviews. plus they are in stock at a few places around here. unlike the toyos. I think that is important, I once had 35' bfg's and someone slashed 2 of my tires. couldnt find any in stock in town so I had to buy 4 khumo's just to get back on the road.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:43 AM
I'm a huge fan of Bridgestone Dueller ATs for on-road manners while still having an aggresive tread.

They have great treadwear and are very quiet on the highway.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Cooper ATZ's...................so far so good........very quiet on highway...love the tread pattern....and seem to wear alittle tuffer than the Nittos...i have 305/55/20's on my factory wheels with no lift or leveling and no rubbing at all.......

Old 08-28-2010, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by Gtullous
Cooper ATZ's...................so far so good........very quiet on highway...love the tread pattern....and seem to wear alittle tuffer than the Nittos...i have 305/55/20's on my factory wheels with no lift or leveling and no rubbing at all.......

Looked through you pics. The Coopers look good

Old 08-28-2010, 08:03 PM
Went with the Nittos check out my gallery.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by J-150
I'm a huge fan of Bridgestone Dueller ATs for on-road manners while still having an aggresive tread.

They have great treadwear and are very quiet on the highway.
AAAHH...you beat me to it. I have bought the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo II and they are awesome. I have had the ****ty Wrangler AT's and the Revo II are a night and day difference. Not as aggressive as the BFG A/T or the Nitto Terra Grapplers, but they are awesome on the highway.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a fan of the BFGoodrich AT. Awesome tire.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:35 PM
Along with the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo that others have already mentioned, I'd also suggest the Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10. Both are a little quieter and have better road manners than the BFG A/Ts.

I have BFG A/Ts on my F1 because I drive on sand a lot, and the BFG A/T is pretty much the best sand tire other than paddles. But if I mostly drove on the freeway, I'd definitely look into the Hankooks or the Bridgestones over the BFGs.

Originally Posted by TXGSXR1K
Ok now I'm flip floping. It looks like the 295/70/18 nitto terra grappler is $60 less per tire and is still getting good reviews. plus they are in stock at a few places around here. unlike the toyos. I think that is important, I once had 35' bfg's and someone slashed 2 of my tires. couldnt find any in stock in town so I had to buy 4 khumo's just to get back on the road.
That's one reason why I carry two matching spares. On a more serious note, that's really messed up for someone to destroy your tires like that. Sorry to hear.

Old 08-29-2010, 04:10 PM
I am wanting to try the BFG A/T's on my truck in a 305/65R18 but all I can find is E load range. I would preffer C load but might be able to handle D's. E load range just seems too heavy for a half ton truck and would probably effect ride quality. What are you guys running?

Old 08-30-2010, 06:58 PM
I have E load range BFG A/Ts that are 315/70/17. The ride sucks butt on washboard concrete freeways, but that could be a combination of the tires, lack of weight in the bed, Deaver F49 12-pack leafs, and Bilstein 5100 monotubes that all contribute to the terrible ride. Heck, it's so violent that the needle on the speedo jumps about +/- 5MPH.

The ride I can tolerate since it's not very noticeable anywhere else. My main concern is that the truck doesn't weigh enough to press down on the tires, so the center of the tire is gonna wear out before the outsides do, unless I air down to about 25-30 PSI. And that would not be safe for freeway driving and contribute to crappy mileage.

But since the truck is a weekend ride that gets maybe 7,000 miles a year, I don't think too much about it. Maybe someone else can chime in on how they do on a DD.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:07 PM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I ran 315x70x17 BFG AT's load range "D" 50 psi max and ran them at around 42-44 psi and they rode great. Put about 43k miles on them and sold them to a guy with a Hummer H2. They were maybe the best tires I ever had but sold them to buy Toyo MT's.

Quick Reply: Whats the best a/t tire for hwy