285 75 17 and 2002 F150 FX4 SCREW?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 02:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hockeyfanjeff
I plan on a re-gear also to at least 4.11 or 4.56. I have 3.55 open right now and a detroit tru-trac waiting to go in with gears. I think I'm going to have my buddy help with the lift install first and replace ball joints, tie rods, rotors and pads all at the same time. Then have the shop install the new tires and only have to do 1 alignment. For an MT I hear the Toyos are one of the best as far as wear,snow and rain, they do offer some siping which lacks in most MT tires.
Okay, I see I was letting the alignment slip my thought process, probably the cheapest part of your entire plan though. I don't have anything for that. You have a pretty good plan.

Did you deside on which brand your going with? Or will you end up going larger?

Old 10-05-2010, 10:35 PM
I am about 75% sold on the Toyo MT based on the reviews here. The other 25% says I don't really need an MT tire and the Nitto Terra Grapplers are way cheaper. What about you? Any decision yet?

Old 10-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Well I hear the Toyo's last a little longer. I like the looks of the Toyo also. I'm pretty much sold on Toyo if you can tell. I heard that Toyo's and nitto's were made in same building. Do you know if this is true? I still wish I could see a 00-03 supercrew on stock fx4 rims just leveled before I make the final decision. I still have a lot of saving to do. I unfortunately blew the Wrx's motor last week and had to buy a low mileage from a wreck. It was bound to go when it has 300,000 on it and its beat on everyday. So that was a set back.

Did you powder coat your rims your self Jeff? If so is there a thread on how to do it yourself. I have a red screw and think the black is sick on the red trucks.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:34 PM
I'm just waiting for those Toyos to be in stock somewhere, but 4 Nitto TG @ $800 is looking better than 4 Toyos at $1200. Of course I haven't stopped searching for pictures, I found this http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...html?p=2552755, the black truck although a dodge has some good close ups of the tires and they aren't that bad, just seem plain. I've heard either toyo makes nitto or other way around but haven't confirmed about production location sharing.

I had a shop do the powder coating. $65 per wheel for the color plus $10 per wheel for optional clear powder coat. The shop does wheels for a WRX Pike's Peak Hill Climb car and other custom mountain bike frames and choppers. I was quite impressed by it, they had just about any color imaginable and you could could choose how glossy from 0-100% in steps of 10%. I'm sure plenty of people do a rattle can job on them and there are some good write ups on that on here.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:11 AM
I still think those Toyo's look way better. I think if the side lugs on nitto's stuck out just a little more than they would look better. To me it just looks like an after thought on the nitto's. I think this is another one of those you get what you pay for deals. But you could still buy five nitto's and have the full size spare and still be under the price of the Toyo's price and that's a big plus.

I think I will still look into powder coating them myself, if I can. I can rattle can with the best of them, but no matter what it just does not last, through the winters and other abuses I will put them through. You know if the original is paint or powder coat? I assume its paint.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:19 AM
For sure they look better.I was going to do 4 toyo mt and a nitto tg for a spare under the bed. I should probably just stop second guessing it and get the toyo's.

I've got no clue on the factory finish of the wheels, but I would guess paint too?

Old 10-08-2010, 01:58 AM
Well either way I end up going its now going to take a while to save up the cash. I was almost there to get them Toyo's. With money being low, you now have me second guessing. Well only for a couple minutes though a quick comparison of pictures kept me on track. I will go Toyo's probably go without a spare. Or just keep one of my stockers although not same size it would be only temp use and no 4wd use. Besides, I need a spare took mine off a few weeks ago and it had a big hole in side wall of it. I guess it was that way when I bought the truck.

The tires I have are new only around 3,000 miles on them. Bran new when I bought the truck. The only thing is they are not even stock size for my truck. Plus even though they are truck tires they don't look like a truck tire to me or what I would consider the way one looks. When I bought it the first thing I thought was those van tires need to go. They put 245 75 17 on which is about the same height as stock just skinnier. I probably will sell them all come to think of it. See if I can get anything for them.

Actually I was thinking of a paint scheme on the rims. So it may be better to paint. I was thinking of turning just the machined five star part black. Leaving the charcoal paint or turning that body color which is the vermillion red and leaving the outer machine lip just polished up and recleared. I have not seen a stock fx4 rim like that. If It matches the vision in my mind. Lol it would be sick.

Quick Reply: 285 75 17 and 2002 F150 FX4 SCREW?