Winter Rim Care

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter Rim Care

With the winter season approaching in a few months, I was wondering what is the best method to keep my rims from being attacked from the harsh salts and road conditions this winter. My new 2010 will have a home in the garage but would like to take some proactive steps to maintain the rims integrity.

Growing up, I have heard of using WD/40 and vaseline on the rims to promote a barrier against the elements.

So my question is: Are there any products I should use during the winter.

thanks

Old 09-16-2010, 10:59 AM
Well I don't see snow where I'm at but I wax my rims frequently. This seems to help me.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:53 AM
Wax is probably your best option.

WD40 and vaseline would be terrible. What a nasty mess that would be.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by Altatruck
Wax is probably your best option.

WD40 and vaseline would be terrible. What a nasty mess that would be.
I used Vasoline on my alloys years ago for one winter season. It did protect them from the winter salt and crap but boy were they filthy after the winter and what a job cleaning them up.

If you can accept them looking like total crap for the winter and then be ready for a lot of work cleaning them up....it does work. I only did it the one season then got winter wheels and snows after that.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd suggest washing them at least once a week to remove the roadsalt.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:11 PM
Winter

I have a set of winter tires on steel rims for the snow and salt. When I take the summer tires off, I wash them and put them away. I store them in a shed, face down so the dust wouldn't collect on the face over the winter.
After 10+ years you'll start developing rust on them unless you want to sand blast them down and repaint them.

This keeps the alloy rims in best shape and has the best tread for winter driving.

Paul

Old 09-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Thank you to everybody with their comments. Since I now have a garage, I will be able to take better care of my truck during the cold winter month's in South Central Indiana.

thanks again.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by chavez1975
Thank you to everybody with their comments. Since I now have a garage, I will be able to take better care of my truck during the cold winter month's in South Central Indiana.

thanks again.
There is a school of thought that says that storing your vehicle in the garage during the winter causese more problems with rust than if parked outside all winter. I guess the freeze/thaw in the garage allows the salty water to get into panels where it wouldn't get if the vehicle stayed frozen.
I store mine in the garage too.....

Old 09-19-2010, 11:47 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
WD40, oh my g..... nooo!

If you rotate your own wheels, treat them with wax when you do, or find a way to pull all your wheels off, wash them very good, wax them with a synthetic wax, let cure for 12hrs. I rode my XDs all winter long and they still look fantastic. Salt sprayed right off.

Quick Reply: Winter Rim Care