Load range E on a SuperCrew / Ride Quality

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Load range E on a SuperCrew / Ride Quality

So I've done the usual searches and such and wasn't able to really find what I was looking for.

I'm about done with the 2nd set of Wranglers on the '04 Supercrew. I hated them the first time I replaced them but put the stockers back on just because of cost. Well, sure enough, I still hate them. They wear well. Tread life has been great. Dry traction is more than ample. The problem is that after they get some miles on them the wet traction totally goes to poop.

Now, I'd like to step up to BFG A/T's which I've had more than a few sets of on other trucks and IMHO they're the best AT out there, but they're an "E" tire vs. the stock "C"'s. I see guys running them on the factory 18's like mine all the time. What's the real story on ride quality? Are they a lot rougher? Is it a dramatic noticeably different ride? The other problem with all of this is that I just had one of the Wrangler's replaced for road hazard. So I can just buy 3 and have a full new set, which is $300+ less out the door than buying a full set of 4 BFG's which is going to run me ~$1000 and cost is definitely a concern right now.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:03 PM
You will notice a little difference but its not bad (mainly when you hit bumps not cruising), after a couple miles you will forget about it all together. Starting off these trucks are, well......trucks so the ride is not the softest even with the C rated tires. I highly recommend going to the BFG A/T's you will like the tires so much more that you will not care about the slight change in ride quality.....if any.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:15 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just about my thoughts exactly. I noticed no difference from a D to an E to even mention. Plus, I like mine on the firm side anyways, so tires were low impact. I would not let the E load rating be a determining factor in tire choice if that was the only difference on something you found that you really liked. Plus, if you ever take up towing down the road, now you're prepared.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:20 PM
One suggestoin: Take a look at the Nitto Terra Grapplers. I just bought a set a couple months ago after running nothing but Revos for the last 4 or 5 years. After about 7000 or 8000 miles I have to say I'm impressed. They're wearing flat as a pancake and actually there's no real sign of any wear yet. They are relatively quiet, balanced out perfectly and ride as smooth as any E tire I've owned. Best part, you get all this, and reported good longevity, for a good bit less money than the BFG's. I bought 295/70/18's. They were less expensive than 275/70 BFG's or Revos. The closest BFG was a 305/65/18 and they were $90 per tire more expensive.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:03 PM
Former Sponsor
There is a noticeable difference going from a C load to a E load. Is it a huge difference? Not really. You will notice it, but if you play a little with the air pressure you can get it dialed in to something that will suit you.

Hope this help.

Thank you,
Derrick

Old 09-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I'm just about to the point where I'm going to go down and probably just buy the 3 Wranglers. I hate'em, but money is such a concern right now, it's hard for me to justify the expense of anything more than I "need", because the truth is that the BFG's or another similar more agressive tire is just a "want". The guy at Discount did mention the Nitto's and the Revo 2's so those are a couple of different choices I've been looking at on TireRack, so it's not completely decided... but I'm damn close to just going the easy/cheap route.

Quick Reply: Load range E on a SuperCrew / Ride Quality