Rotors: Slotted or Solid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotors: Slotted or Solid?

It's getting time to replace the factory brakes so im looking for opinions on which route to go with. i have a 2006 screw that i pull a 6500# loaded wt TT about twice a month. which rotors would give better performance? solid or slotted crossed drilled and of course i would also be using a good quality pad. maybe ceramic? and in these financial times money is an object.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:29 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I put on powerslot (slotted) rotors earlier this year with wagner TQ semi-mettalic pads and can honestly tell no difference over stock, actually I get less responsiveness sometimes and the brake dust is about the same as the carquest blue pads I had previously (less than stock, but still plenty). I thought I may have botched the brake job so I took it all apart and redid it, had the system checked, fluid flushed and brakes bled; but it still persists.. Blame it on the larger tires, heavy wheel/tire combo...idk I'm still kinda mad I spent the money on the slotted rotors and wagner TQ pads and got little to no results from the combo

just my experience so far..

Old 10-03-2010, 01:07 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Unless you are racing, slotted rotors don't do anything for you and drilled will just eat up the pads. You will get more dust.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:24 AM
You might want to check out this thread:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...try-these.html

David

Old 10-03-2010, 04:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Unless you are racing, slotted rotors don't do anything for you and drilled will just eat up the pads. You will get more dust.
x2. slotted rotors are for cars that do AutoX or severe racing when braking is a consistant on/off routine. the slots help dissipate heat towards the higher end but unless you are sitting on your brakes, you dont have to worry about that. besides, your stock rotors have more surface area = more bite

Old 10-03-2010, 08:13 AM
Beg to differ....

Originally Posted by Bluejay
For me it depends on what combination you use and your driving habits. I have cross drilled/slotted rotors, and have for almost 140,000 miles, and my first set of pads (ceramic) I put on there with these rotors lasted 100,000 miles, which to me was pretty impressive considering I'm all gas and all brakes and my pads usually last me only 30,000 miles. Plus there's the added benefit of virtually NO BRAKE DUST. Compared to the crappy *** stock rotors and pads, which the rotors warped almost immediately and the pads last maybe 25,000 miles, I'm very happy w/ the $$$$ I spent on this combination.

Last edited by mitch150; 10-03-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:40 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
I use cross drilled and slotted on my wife's expy, I only care about stopping power, not how long I can go between parts changes

and I use a low dust pad without any issues, the pads alone are $85

Old 10-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
I use cross drilled and slotted on my wife's expy, I only care about stopping power, not how long I can go between parts changes

and I use a low dust pad without any issues, the pads alone are $85
Oh yeah, did I forget to mention that ? I was only commenting on what BLUEJAY was saying about pads being eaten up by these rotors and the brake dust you would get.

Last edited by mitch150; 10-03-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by x2mosg
You might want to check out this thread:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...try-these.html

David

that sounds like a great deal but after further investigation they wont work for me. im a 2wd guy.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ThermoQuiet pads on stock rotors does a great job and it keeps your wallet thick.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:25 PM

I have powerslot slotted and Hawk LTS pads....love the setup and better stopping power over stock with less dust.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:32 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm going with slotted rotors all the way around with ceramic pads. I'm choosing slotted rotors just because they look cool. A lot of members have recommended Brake Performance, so they must be good.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:12 PM
Thumbs up Good experience with the Brake Performance slotted / dimpled rotors

I have had the Brake Performnace Premium slotted and dimpled rotors on both my 06 Navigator Luxury and my wife's 06 Buick Lucerne CSX (all 4 wheels on both cars) and have been happy with them.

But...after about 18 months on each, I have replaced the cermaic pads that came free from Brake Performance. I just wasn't happy with the stopping power they provided. Better than stock but I expected more.

I replaced the Lucerne pads with Napa Gold and a world of difference.

On my Navigator I ordered Wagner Severe Duty pads on all 4 corners from Advance and what a nightmare. My braking perfomance suffered so much that I took the Navigator to the dealer thinking something must be wrong - master cylinder, brake booster, something. The dealer (Tempe Lincoln Mercury) was really great. They confirmed my diagnosis and had the truck for a few days trying to find the problem. They replaced the master (under warranty) and that helped (so there must have been somthing there) but still not good.

We agreed that I'd take the Navigator back and replace the pads (even though they were only two weeks old) with factory Motorcraft pads. WOW - I can now stop on a dime with the factory pads.

So the moral of my story is...these Brake Performance rotors work wonderfully if they are mated with the right pads. Maybe I was just playing around too much with with the configuration in the first place, but I put a lot of importance on stopping power and I just wasn't happy with the performance early on. I am very happy now.

Quick Reply: Rotors: Slotted or Solid?