Changing front rotors and pads *first time noob*

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing front rotors and pads *first time noob*

Just curious if there is a write up or not on this. I have a few questions like brake bleeding, I have never changed brakes before so I have no clue how to do this if it is needed. Advice would be great, this might actually be simple and i'm over complicating it?

Truck is a 99 f150 4x4 if that matters. Found pads for $15 and rotors for $31 a piece at O'Reiley.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:14 PM
Did not take time to search for a write up but I believe there are some out there. As for bleeding the breaks if you compress the cylinder back into the calipers you will not have to bleed them, just be careful not to overflow your reservoir. I hope the purchases you made last, because I am guessing using those may earn you lots of practice changing your brakes. If you have specific question feel free to ping me, its honestly a very simple maintenance task.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Was wondering what pads and rotors are good or if the cheap ones last just as long. This is a work truck and it has 195k on it.. so i'm not the worried about performance and it's currently on the metal on one side... so anything is better than the current state. I don't want to drop $100 plus on pads and rotors is what i'm getting at. What is the average life for such cheap ones vs expensive ones?

Old 10-07-2010, 07:02 PM
Former Sponsor
Changing pads is a simple process and you should not have to bleed the brakes. If you going to keep the vehicle it would be a good idea to put a good set of pads on the truck that way you will not have to do this again in a year or year and a half.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:51 PM
Old 10-07-2010, 10:06 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you are buying the less expensive pads, at least get the ones with the lifetime warranty. That way if you don't let it get to the metal you get free replacements.

Quick Reply: Changing front rotors and pads *first time noob*