Rock chips from aggressive wheel/tire set up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rock chips from aggressive wheel/tire set up?

i have been doing a lot of research on this site about wheel/tire set ups. i have a 2010 f150 SCREW and i am thinking about possibly doing a 2" level kit or 4" rancho lift kit. im leaning towards the level kit due to the added loss of gas mileage with the 4" and 35s. i really like the aggressive wheel/tire set ups, where they stick out a couple of inches past the fender (i know this is not popular with most people).

one thing i kept seing in my research is that having an aggressive set up will cause paint chips on the sides of the truck (doors etc). i would like hear from people that this has actually happened to and how bad it was as well as how aggressive their set up was. possible wheel sizes im looking at are 20x9 -12, 20x10 -12, 20x10 -25, and 22x9.5 -18. all of these would be with either 33s or 35s. appreciate the help.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:39 PM
I have Toyo M/T 35s running on 20x10 rims. Stick out about an inch from the fender flares. The 1st year, I ran with my steps still on and got very little in the way of rock chips. This year, I am running with my steps off and lots and lots of chips on the front of my rear fender flares, a few (5-10) on the body sides..

I should note that I am on rock/gravel/dirt roads 2 miles or more everyday.

Last edited by Spike Strider; 10-07-2010 at 06:39 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-08-2010, 01:35 PM
ya... it won't only throw rocks onto your truck... think about all the other cars that drive around you too...

having your tires stick out that far is illegal in some states due to the danger to other cars and pedestrians.

but some d-bags don't care about other people and leave their wheels stick way out...

Old 10-08-2010, 02:08 PM
I have had 18x9 Rockstars with 5" BS (0 mm offset) and 33x12.5 Toyo MTs on my truck for a year and a half. They do not stick out far enough to throw rocks past the underside of my factory running boards. The side of my truck is clean and without rock chips, but I have had to paint the edge of my running boards a couple of times because of stone damage. (Not a big deal because I originally painted them satin black, anyway)

I would not remove the running boards and I would not go much wider than a 9" wheel with a 0 mm or positive offset to avoid the issue of rock chips. All of the wheels you mentioned with the negative offsets will stick out a 1/2" to 1 1/2" further than mine.

KR-Texas

Last edited by KR-Texas; 10-08-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:47 PM
If you can keep the tires under the truck or use flares or mud flaps stone chip and flying rocks will be no problem but be ready for them to beat up the under side a little

Old 10-08-2010, 05:57 PM
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by VEECON
i have been doing a lot of research on this site about wheel/tire set ups. i have a 2010 f150 SCREW and i am thinking about possibly doing a 2" level kit or 4" rancho lift kit. im leaning towards the level kit due to the added loss of gas mileage with the 4" and 35s. i really like the aggressive wheel/tire set ups, where they stick out a couple of inches past the fender (i know this is not popular with most people).

one thing i kept seing in my research is that having an aggressive set up will cause paint chips on the sides of the truck (doors etc). i would like hear from people that this has actually happened to and how bad it was as well as how aggressive their set up was. possible wheel sizes im looking at are 20x9 -12, 20x10 -12, 20x10 -25, and 22x9.5 -18. all of these would be with either 33s or 35s. appreciate the help.
One thing good about the Rancho lift's is that you can run 35's on the stock wheels. This will keep them more tucked inside the wheelwells and keep the sides clean of roadspray and flying rock's. Steps help out a lot too! Just my 2 cent's.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm running Nitto Terra Grapplers (295/70/17) on a 8in rim with 4.95 BS. These tires are one of the worst rock throwers you could ever have. Mine stick about a inch, and I have rock chips everywhere, even way up on the door right under the window!!!

With running a setup that sticks out past your fender, this is gonna happen no matter what tire you run. I'm thinking about getting a Rancho lift myself, and I might get factory rims with 35's, that way it will be tucked in, but still very aggressive.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:12 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Here is my take... I hate the 'tucked in look'; for that reason I have the bushwacker flares and made sure my tires would stick out an inch or so past those. To me this gave the truck a good height-to-width ratio, as opposed to the standing on stilts look they would have had with a tire/wheel setup that tucked into the flares/fender wells. With any setup that sticks out you can expect a fair share of crap thrown down the side of the truck. Things such as tar, road grime, and the rock chips will be the norm; in rare cases I have run over bubble gum, ketchup and other misc 'junk' that lead to having to wash the whole side of the truck. twice a year I detail the truck (March & September) so that I can clay off any thing that stuck like tar, tree sap, etc and keep the paint in tip-top shape.

If you are a neat/clean freak about your truck like I am this can drive you crazy, but you do it because it looks good. If you absolutely can't handle some chips in the lower doors/underside of the cab, gunk down the side between washes/details I would keep the wheel/tire setup tucked in.

Step bars, like the amp research steps I have help a bunch with the underside of the cab. something like nerf bars would help more with the gunk down the side/rock chips down the side.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:21 PM
thanks everyone for the responses so far. fx4life, i agree with you, which is why i created this thread. i dont want them to be flush because of the "stilts" look, which in my opinion does not look good. i love f150s that have the aggressive set up where they stick out a couple of inches past the fender, but i guess its not worth having rocks etc fly at the doors etc. i have the oem steps, so not sure if this will help. ive thought about mud gaurds but that will probably look funny and not help as much.

my other option is to make it a street truck and lower it with a set of 24s and use my oem wheels for the winter (get alot of snow where i live). i know majority of the people on here dont like the street look, but it seems like my only option if the aggressive "off road" look will cause alot of problems.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by VEECON
thanks everyone for the responses so far. fx4life, i agree with you, which is why i created this thread. i dont want them to be flush because of the "stilts" look, which in my opinion does not look good. i love f150s that have the aggressive set up where they stick out a couple of inches past the fender, but i guess its not worth having rocks etc fly at the doors etc. i have the oem steps, so not sure if this will help. ive thought about mud gaurds but that will probably look funny and not help as much.

my other option is to make it a street truck and lower it with a set of 24s and use my oem wheels for the winter (get alot of snow where i live). i know majority of the people on here dont like the street look, but it seems like my only option if the aggressive "off road" look will cause alot of problems.

I would say the area you will see some abuse from the larger tires is the area below that crease in the doors-- the channel towards the bottom (hopefully you know what I'm talking about). and a lot of abuse comes on the underside of the body/doors (the area that curves under). you will get some up on the doors, the bed, etc; but honestly not a ton. I have made it just fine in the 4 years with my lift, but this year it was really starting to show some serious abuse from this type of thing. Luckily a hail storm came along and I had no where to go, insurance cut a hefty check for all the damage and since they were repainting nearly all the truck I went ahead and fronted the money to completely repaint it a brighter red! I'm sure now I'll be very very upset with a chip/damage because of the tires or anything else since it will be completely ding free and have brand spanking new paint

If you want the offroad look go for it! You know what you really want w/e that may be, anything else you will be wasting your money when you take that off to redo it how you really wanted it. I'm a firm believer in doing it right and how you want it the first time, saves a lot of money.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
KR-Texas, i freakin love your truck!

FX4life, you sound like a guy who knows his stuff.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:06 PM
Here ya go. I have a 2wd with leveling kit. 32's and 20's.

the tires are 32x12x20 cooper zeon ltz's
the wheels are 20x9 with a -12mm offset, 4.5" backspacing. I wish i would have went with 20x10's with 5" off backspacing just for look factor.

I havent had any rock chips. I drive down a rock driveway. Dirtroads and fields quite often. However i do wax my truck a lot. There is no doubt, the tires throw a lot of dirt/rocks/grass down the side. I guess i have been fortunate. all im trying to get at is your truck isnt gonna be covered all the way down the side with chips. They do stick out a bit. However, i love the look. Now i just wish i could get another inch of lift in the front.

here are some pics for reference.

Name:  IMG_2902.jpg
Views: 6225
Size:  94.2 KB

Name:  SDC10715-1.jpg
Views: 6270
Size:  91.9 KB

Old 10-18-2010, 07:58 PM
^^^nice set up!! those are the wheels im leaning towards. im considering the 20x9 -12 like yours, 20x10 -12, 22x9.5 -6, or the 22x9.5 -18 if possible. as for leveling kits, its either a 2" or a 2.5 and 3" rear block if needed. just need to know if these are possible and what tire sizes would be best. im leaning towards the 22s just to do something a little different.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:36 PM
is your truck a 2wd or 4x4? and thanks!

edit: i just read you were considering a rancho 4" lift, which will only fit a 4x4, so unless you made a mistake im gonna assume you have a 4x4.

if thats the case i would go with 1 of two options.

1. 33" coopers with whatever wheels you want, 20's/22's. take the 2" block out of the rear for a level look. Lowering the rear, not lifting the front. This will give it the look of a leveled 2wd, like mine.

2. 35" toyos or whatever other a/t tire. level the front with a 2.5" leveling kit or do a 4" rancho.

if you do 33's and then a leveling kit you will make the tires look small. I dont think it will look bad by any means, just a little out of proportion. If you have any questions whatsoever you can ask there here or shoot me a PM.

thanks,
Sam

Last edited by gcart; 10-18-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:03 PM
my truck is a 4x4. seems like in order to fit wheels like yours and 33s, i would need a leveling kit upfront. i really like the rancho lift but dont want to lose alot on mpg's, i know its a truck and im not supposed to focus on that, but it does make a difference. im curious though to see what the difference in mpg's there is between a leveling kit and 33s compared to a rancho 4" and 35s? my other option if the aggressive set up would cause too much damage was to do 24s with nitto terra grapplers and either do 2" drop rear shackles or 2/4 drop, i figured i would go with something like the terra grapplers so i can still use the truck in the snow.

Quick Reply: Rock chips from aggressive wheel/tire set up?