295/70/18 and XD Monsters

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks to everyone who provided their insight in this thread. It made my decision very easy.

We got the leveling kit installed fairly quickly and without any difficulty this afternoon. After mounting the tires I took it for a test drive. I backed up to turn around and I heard the dreaded "click click click click". Rubbing after 6 feet...

The tires were making contact on the black plastic piece on bottom side of bumper (valence?) and the rear portion of the front fender. They were both easy fixes - we just trimmed a little off the valence (maybe 1/4in) and we removed a screw that was pushing the fender "flare" out about a 1/2in and reinstalled the screw through the fender "flare." I'm sure that makes no sense but I can take pictures if needed. After that, no rubbing.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the leveling kit and the tires. The tires definitely take away any pep that my truck had. (Programmer is next.) However, I'll take a slight hit in the performance department for the new look.

Hope you guys like...

Before:

After:

Edit: Sorry for the crappy picture quality. I took it with my phone. Hopefully later this week I can get some better pics.

Last edited by UNC Lariat; 10-17-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:17 PM
If you could take some pics of your trimming mods that would be sweet. I'm looking hard at these tires along with a 2 1/2" leveling kit. Rims are the sticking point right now.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by rllackey28
If you could take some pics of your trimming mods that would be sweet. I'm looking hard at these tires along with a 2 1/2" leveling kit. Rims are the sticking point right now.
Sure thing man. It will be Wednesday or Thursday before I can do it though.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:22 AM
Looks great man. Love the white/black color combo. I'd like to see the trim pics as well, as I am interested in running a similar setup.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:54 PM
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Truck look's great!

Old 10-19-2010, 10:22 PM
edit: didn't notice the update......questions answered

Old 10-19-2010, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by johnjohnson78
edit: didn't notice the update......questions answered
Hahaha. I was just about to reply to your post when I saw you had edited it. I saw that you asked about the handling (or something like that). To be honest, the tires feel a little "mushy" when you're at highway speed. Of course, I just had the factory Pirelli's on there. I know the lugs on the tread are causing it. It doesn't bother me, but its something to get used to.

With all of that said, I absolutely love my new setup. It looks and feels like a completely different truck.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:31 PM
Lariat,

What did you end up doing about the TPMS?

Old 10-19-2010, 11:43 PM
Lariat,

What did you end up doing about the TPMS?
I'm taking my truck to the local dealer tomorrow and they will be "training" my sensors free of charge.

Also, PM sent.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:26 AM
Originally Posted by UNC Lariat
I'm taking my truck to the local dealer tomorrow and they will be "training" my sensors free of charge.

Also, PM sent.
did you have to purchase anything to get the sensors to work or does it just require a recalibration(training)?
great truck btw! i have the same truck but black and i plan on going with almost the exact same setup accept ill be using terra grapplers with 2.5" on the front with 1" in the rear.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:56 AM
My situation was a serious pain in the rump.

When I took it to the dealer, they couldn't get the sensors trained. They told me Rimz One had used the pull through sensors instead of the bands. After a phone call to Rimz One, I set up an appointment with them to change out the sensors. I drove an hour and half back to the shop, and the guys at Rimz One started changing out the sensors. I waited for about an hour and went outside to check on the status. I was told they were waiting on two more sensors from the Ford dealership. I have an appointment to have the sensors replaced but they don't have all the sensors.... I let it slide and went back inside. The sensors got there a few minutes later and they put them on.

They took my truck for a drive so that it would "re-calibrate itself." No luck. They come back and mess with the pressure in the tires and leave again on a "re-calibration drive." No luck. At this point the owner comes out and tells me they can't get the sensors retrained. I asked them if they did the manual retraining with the wand. They said they couldn't find the procedure so I had to look it up on here from my phone. They try the procedure and no luck. The owner comes back out and offers to take my truck to the local dealer to get "diagnostics run". I said OK and off they go. 15 minutes later they are back and the sensors are trained.

After waiting 4 and 1/2 hours at the shop the owner profusely apologizes and offers $150 credit to my account. Overall, it took 7 1/2 hours that day to get home with functioning sensors. It sucked, but the guys at Rimz One did everything they could to help me out.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by schoenrock
did you have to purchase anything to get the sensors to work or does it just require a recalibration(training)?
great truck btw! i have the same truck but black and i plan on going with almost the exact same setup accept ill be using terra grapplers with 2.5" on the front with 1" in the rear.
You don't need to purchase anything. Just swing by your local dealer and they should do it free of charge.

Thanks for the compliment!

Be sure to post pictures when you get the lift and tires installed.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:29 AM
Schoenrock,

If I may add you can always buy the bands online and swap out your sensors onto the aftermarket rims. Then no recalibration is needed.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Schoenrock,

If I may add you can always buy the bands online and swap out your sensors onto the aftermarket rims. Then no recalibration is needed.
I've tried several times to upload my trimming pictures and I keep getting an error. I'll try again when I get home from huntin' tonight.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:08 AM
No worries. My trimming is done...I think. But it might be useful for others. Get my Gryphon this evening so we will see how my truck with those wheels reacts to it.

Quick Reply: 295/70/18 and XD Monsters