New Tires and Low Tire Pressure Error

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 07:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Tires and Low Tire Pressure Error

As some of y'all may know, I bought new tires and wheels from Rimz One and mounted them this weekend. I ordered the tires with the sensors and bands. The low tire pressure warning light came on after driving about 10 miles yesterday and will not go off. The guys at Rimz One said I just needed to drive for a while and it should reset. Do I need to "train" the sensors? Do I need to go to a dealer and have them reset the warning? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes the dealer will have to re-set the new sensors to the truck or you can get one of these and do it yourself : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-...motiveQ5fTools

Last edited by sam1947; 10-19-2010 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:28 PM
Former Sponsor
Sam is correct. You will have to have the dealer reset the sensors or purchase a tool so that you can do it yourself. The Tire Rack sells a OEM Ford TPMS Trigger tool for $45. If you would like to give me a call we could get this to you in 1-2 business days. Dealer trip is normally 1hr labor charge to do it. It would be worth buying the tool.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:31 PM
I purchased my reset tool from the dealer for about $25 dollars. Might check with Tasca or your local dealer.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I just got off the phone with my local Ford dealership and they said they would reset the sensors for no charge. You can't beat free!

Old 10-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Update: Went to the dealer this morning and was told I had the wrong sensors. Apparently Rimz One installed the sensors that go on the valve stems instead of the ones with the bands.

I've got a call into Rimz One and I'm waiting to hear back from them now. Hopefully I'll get a call soon...

Another update: Just got off the phone with Jim at Rimz One. They confirmed I have the wrong sensors and have set up an appointment on Monday to install the correct sensors. A lot of unnecessary driving coming up but at least the issue is going to be resolved.

Last edited by UNC Lariat; 10-20-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:29 PM
Hey UNC,

So what was the outcome with your TPMS issue? I too bought my rims and tires from RimzOne and they came with the 2010 TPMS valve sensor and after 3 days I am now getting the TPMS faulty sensor warning. Is a dealer reset in order or should I go with reset tool I can buy online? Just looking for opinions as I really want to get this fixed.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:43 PM
Rimz One put the stem mounted sensors on my wheels when I needed the bands. Rimz One fixed it and gave me a substantial refund for my troubles. I still had to take it to the dealer to train the sensors. Rimz One said driving over 35 miles per hour for 2 minutes (or something like that) should train the sensors but it didn't work, so I had to go to the dealer.

My local dealer trained the sensors for free. I didn't even buy my truck from them but they still helped out. I would swing by the dealership or give them a call before wasting your money on a reset tool.

I'm kinda surprised it took 3 days for you to get the error. Mine was on from the time I mounted the wheels.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:19 AM
Originally Posted by stp900
Hey UNC,

So what was the outcome with your TPMS issue? I too bought my rims and tires from RimzOne and they came with the 2010 TPMS valve sensor and after 3 days I am now getting the TPMS faulty sensor warning. Is a dealer reset in order or should I go with reset tool I can buy online? Just looking for opinions as I really want to get this fixed.
Have you tried the procedure in your owner manual?

Old 01-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
Have you tried the procedure in your owner manual?
I have not tried the owners manual reset yet as it was late last night when I discovered the error. Also, I noticed when I was reading the owners manual reset that it seems geared towards the trucks with diff PSI's on the fronts and backs. Dumb question, but does that reset matter if my PSI is the same for all 4 tires? Bottom line, is the owners manual reset the same as what the dealer is going to do?

Old 01-14-2011, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by stp900
I have not tried the owners manual reset yet as it was late last night when I discovered the error. Also, I noticed when I was reading the owners manual reset that it seems geared towards the trucks with diff PSI's on the fronts and backs. Dumb question, but does that reset matter if my PSI is the same for all 4 tires? Bottom line, is the owners manual reset the same as what the dealer is going to do?
Reset does not matter about different pressure, it is for any time you change sensors or have a problem. I use two sets of tires, summer and winter. Each set has it's own sensors. I just go through the reset procedure and I am good until I swap again.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:29 PM
There is now stem type sensors compatible with the 07,08 MY trucks and will replace the band type sensors if wanted. They are producing them with the correct frequency for the earlier models : http://revolutionsupply.com/%28S%28j...TPMSIndex.aspx

Last edited by sam1947; 01-16-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by sam1947
There is now stem type sensors compatible with the 07,08 MY trucks and will replace the band type sensors if wanted. They are producing them with the correct frequency for the earlier models : http://revolutionsupply.com/%28S%28j.../AppGuide.aspx
Cool deal. I guess this would be useful for the wheels that you can't fit the band type sensors on.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by UNC Lariat
Cool deal. I guess this would be useful for the wheels that you can't fit the band type sensors on.
And a MUCH Cheaper alternative over the band set-up.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Took the truck into the dealership. Had to convince them to run the reset tool over the tires for me. The service guy put the truck in "learn" mode then ran the reset tool over each tire. The error went away and so far (knock on wood) the error has not come back. An interesting point that he broght up as to why the error was getting thrown was that as the tires warm up, it goes past the allowable amount of the TPMS. In other words, I was running my Nitto Trail Grapplers at 45 PSI. As they warmed up, the PSI was getting close to 50. i guess the TPMS doesnt like it. After the reset, I dropped the PSI down to 38.

Quick Reply: New Tires and Low Tire Pressure Error