Rebalancing

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebalancing

Well before I go spending a bunch of money on a new tire I'd like to get a few opinions. All of my tires are pretty much evenly wore down except for one. It's not completely bald (yet) but in one 5"x1.5" spot on the tire is going bald on the outside tread. Is this because of a bad balance? At higher speeds it seems to vibrate a little and I'm pretty sure it's that tire because when I've rotated them the vibration goes to where the tire is. Another question, if the tire is rebalanced would I expect it to last as long(almost as long) because it's going to use the rest of the tread. The tire in question is a BF Goodrich All Terrain 265 70 R17. I appreciate all of the help.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Former Sponsor
Seems kind of odd to have a 5" x1.5" area that has less tread then the rest of the tire. If the tire is going bald on the outside of the tire, that would be an alignment issue. If its out of balance that will be the cause of the vibration for sure. I would have a tire shop locally take a look at it and see what the issue is. Kind of hard to determine when I can't see the tire. Maybe some photos would help.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:14 PM
I'll post some photos later on in the day. After further inspection of the tire, it's happening on the inside also, just in the two ares, not around the whole tire. If you look at the picture here-

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...5882-rims.html

That's the tire we're talking about (circled in red is the weight). I'm taking it to a tire shop today to see what they have to say about it. I'll relay the information they tell me and have pictures up later today.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by CManHugh
I'll post some photos later on in the day. After further inspection of the tire, it's happening on the inside also, just in the two ares, not around the whole tire. If you look at the picture here-

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...5882-rims.html

That's the tire we're talking about (circled in red is the weight). I'm taking it to a tire shop today to see what they have to say about it. I'll relay the information they tell me and have pictures up later today.

That's entirely to much weight for the wheel. You may either have a bad tire or bent wheel or just a tire that will not balance properly.

I've had issues with my 2nd set of new BFG tires and finally found a competent shop to admit I had a bad wheel. I will have the new wheel (purchased new online for half the dealer cost) and four new Yoko Geolander's installed on the 11th.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Sounds like a belt separation within the tire. If that's the case, balancing won't help. You will have to replace the tire.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by ford norseman
Sounds like a belt separation within the tire. If that's the case, balancing won't help. You will have to replace the tire.
That's what one of my mechanic buddies told me. I wasn't able to make it to the tire shop today to get their opinion. Pictures below.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...photo0952.html

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...photo0953.html

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...photo0954.html

Sorry for the blurriness of the pictures (cellphone) Can anyone tell me something else from the pictures? Also it's a little bigger then 5" long.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:59 PM
Former Sponsor
There is a problem going on for sure there. 1st way to many wheels weights for sure. 2nd I was going to say alignment, but the inside is wearing as well. So that brings me to inflation pressure has been low with alignment issue. Could also be shock related. I saw in the 1 photo almost looked like high low high low pattern around the tires. It could be all or none of the above. That was just some thoughts to get started and rule out. Where did that tire start out wearing like that on the vehicle? That kind of wear did not come from regular rotation.

Trending Topics

Old 11-10-2010, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by Derrick@TireRack
There is a problem going on for sure there. 1st way to many wheels weights for sure. 2nd I was going to say alignment, but the inside is wearing as well. So that brings me to inflation pressure has been low with alignment issue. Could also be shock related. I saw in the 1 photo almost looked like high low high low pattern around the tires. It could be all or none of the above. That was just some thoughts to get started and rule out. Where did that tire start out wearing like that on the vehicle? That kind of wear did not come from regular rotation.
I couldn't say where the wear started. I have rotated these tires every 6,000-12,000 miles, the first I noticed it was when the tire was on my front left. I rotated and nothing has happened to the tire I moved there. I have always kept my tires above 35psi, more or likely around 40psi. Should I get it balanced and keep running on this tire?

Old 11-10-2010, 10:39 PM
You need to find out the reason for the wear. Put it on a jack, ensure you chock it first, rotate the tire and check for a bulge. Check tire, front-end components, suspension and wheel.

I would contact BFG and let them know your exact set-up and they can recommend a good tire pressure for your application.

Once you find the culprit and have it fixed you should replace the tire. Don't let it wait to long.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:16 AM
Blue, I have checked all that, nothing is wrong with the suspension, nothing wrong with the front end, alignment was done two weeks ago after I changed the oil. No bulges in the tire, just those two bald spots. The only thing that seems to make sense is that the tire is bad and as ford norseman said a belt separation within the tire. I'm going to go to a tire shop first thing tomorrow because everything is close around here because of Veteran's Day. Thanks everyone for the help, I'll post what the tire shop guys have to say.

Quick Reply: Rebalancing