backspace, offset, rim width.. help with wheels please!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
backspace, offset, rim width.. help with wheels please!!

So I am in need of new tires for my truck, but I've also been contemplating new wheels. I currently have procomp 1079 17" wheels with bfg A/T's 315/70/17.

This being my personal preference, but I really do not like the way they stick out from my fenders and I really would like tires that tuck under, or at least a little bit better. I've been researching tires and thinking about going to a true 35" tire and from what I've read they are even wider across than my current tires. I'm really just not a fan of tires sticking out past the body and even more so how they sling mud and road grime up the side of my truck so badly, and I'm not interested in fender flares at this time. I have a 6" procomp lift but I don't really understand the whole backspacing and offset things along with the minimum I can get away with without having my tires rub etc. I'm not sure what wheel width I should opt for either. My main goal is keeping the tires under the fenders a bit more, especially if I get a true 35x12.5 which I assume will stick out further.

I'm thinking of getting an 18" or 20" wheel but I need to know what rim width, backspacing, and offset that I need. I was also unsure if I am more limited in wheel choices because of the front hubs for my 4x4. Thanks for any help or suggestions!!

Old 12-25-2010, 02:27 PM
Here's my current setup

Old 12-25-2010, 09:49 PM
While on the subjest does anyone know if i would be able to fit 35x12.5r18 Toyo Open Country M/T's on the 18x9 Kmc XD Diesel wheels? thanks

Old 12-25-2010, 10:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, you will. Also, could you tell us the width and backspacing of your current wheels? That will help a lot. Also, I think Pro Comp has some backspacing requirements so you may not be able to go with a really deep backspacing.
And just so you know, a 315/70-17 is the same as a 35x12.50-17 tire. Tire sizes are always rounded up, so most "35's" are gonna be around 34.5 to 34.75 inches tall. Also, the width and height of a given tire size will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by wandell
Yes, you will. Also, could you tell us the width and backspacing of your current wheels? That will help a lot. Also, I think Pro Comp has some backspacing requirements so you may not be able to go with a really deep backspacing.
And just so you know, a 315/70-17 is the same as a 35x12.50-17 tire. Tire sizes are always rounded up, so most "35's" are gonna be around 34.5 to 34.75 inches tall. Also, the width and height of a given tire size will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.
The wheels were on the truck already when I bought it, from what I could find in that style and bolt pattern it looks like -6mm offset and 4.75" backspacing and the wheel is 9" wide

Old 01-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think you will be able to get a wheel that will tuck in much more. I'm not positve, but I don't think you can use a wheel with more than 5 inches of BS with the Pro COmp lift. And a 9 inch wide wheel with 5 inches of BS will only tuck in 0.25 inches farther than your current wheels.

Quick Reply: backspace, offset, rim width.. help with wheels please!!