Will I notice a visual difference?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 11:38 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Oh yea...I know it's a great tire and well proven, but I flat out refuse to buy the Toyo's. I've noticed it's not near as bad around where I live now, but out in Cali you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a set of Toyo's.

I even had a neighbor friend of mine one time (who has a very nice, big *** Chevy 2500 diesel) do me funny over a set of Toyo's. He knows about stuff but not much, and we were talking about tires one day. I told him all about the Toyo's and that I was getting them (at the time) as my next tire...about three days later he comes rolling by with the Toyo's that he knew nothing about prior to our conversation. That just sat wrong with me and I haven't liked the Toyo's since. I should't be petty over something like that, I know, but I hated it. He's one of those "gotta outdo the Jones' " kinda guys anyways, but whatever! I still grew tired of them regardless of that incident.

I also like the Nitto's because they are every bit as technically advanced and developed as the Toyo's, if not more so, and Nitto knows how to cater to the customer. They don't just build a great tire and say "find what you need for your application", I feel like they build a tire especially for you. Look at all their tires...ricer guys, racers, these Trails, everything. They just impress me.

It'll come down to finding the exact wheel I like I guess, but I agree...I don't think I could go wrong either way. Guess if I buy them, I wont get rid of my present wheels until I know I like the 20's. If I don't, someone will get a great deal.

Last edited by Galaxy; 01-13-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I can say from experience that the terra grapplers are good tires. They arent worth a dang thing in any kind of sand situations because they immediately become slicks . They dont do that well in the mud, but they get really good grip on wet asphalt or pavement. Not to mention that they last a good while with rotations, and are very quiet. If I were you, I would no doubt get the trail grapplers. Everyone I know that owns a set just loves them, but I am not sure on how long they lost. Everyone who has them, just barely got them.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:31 PM
You do know that Toyo makes Nitto tires right?

Old 01-13-2011, 02:00 PM
I think I did know that...but my comments weren't really meant to bag on Toyo as a whole per se. Just bagging on the MT's because they're so propagated...and let me restate that's all personal. Obviously there's nothing wrong with that tire. But there's no arguing that even if they are made in the same factory, there's definately two separate marketing strategies going on.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:46 PM
Went with the Trail Grapplers.

Well I ended up with the 35/12.50-18 Trail Grapplers. The Terra Grapplers were sweet but the Trails looked more aggressive. Suprisingly the Terra Grapplers in 325/65-18 looked taller than the 35" Trail Grapplers. They were wider also. This visualization was done unmounted with both tires on the floor next to each other.

I've been driving on the Trail Grapplers for a few days now. Much improved over the ProComp Extreme AT's. The Trails seem to be softer and absorb small road imperfections way better than the ProComps. They do hum a bit but that doesn't bother me at all. Not much if any louder than the ProComps. Can't wait for some trail time and deep snow. Overall I'm very pleased. I went to a local mom & pop tire store. Out the door for all four tires with lifetime balances and rotation, $1180.00. Best deal I found. Thanks to all of you who chimed in.

[IMG]www.f150online.com/forums/members/hurtman-albums-new+terra+grapplers-picture155463t-005.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]://www.f150online.com/forums/members/hurtman-albums-new+terra+grapplers-picture155465t-004.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]www.f150online.com/forums/members/hurtman-albums-new+terra+grapplers-picture155464t-003.jpg[/IMG]

I wasn't sure on how to include the pics with the post, sorry I'm a Neaderthal when it comes to computers. The pics are in my gallery. Thanks.

Last edited by hurtman; 01-18-2011 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Photos
Old 01-18-2011, 05:00 PM
Tried the pics again.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:16 PM
Wow. They look great. Glad to hear you're liking the Trail Grapplers so far. They have been great so far with me as well. Keep us updated on how they perform offroad and in the snow. Have you had any issues with rubbing so far?

Old 01-18-2011, 07:53 PM
What size wheel is that?? I'm guessing 9"?

Old 01-18-2011, 07:56 PM
No rubbing as of yet, although I haven't had her flexed out. I had the same size in the ProComps and never had any contact. The lift on the truck was pretty much made for 35's. I've had her in moab on some pretty crazy stuff and other than pin striping the steps have had no issues. The ground clearance with the kit and the 35's is good. I also have the ProComp skid plate in the front. I have plenty of room in the wheel wells to stuff these in. I'll post when we get some snow. Supposed to get 3-6" Wed. into Thur. Not a huge amount but should give me some idea of how they will perform for me.

Thanks for the compliment.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by Galaxy
What size wheel is that?? I'm guessing 9"?
Yes sir, it is a Moto Metal 951, 18"X9".

Old 02-26-2011, 06:14 PM
Update on the Nitto Trail Grapplers and snow.

Have had the new tires for a little over a month now. We have had some snow in that time period and thought I would update a little. As with any tire with such large lugs, they suck when the snow is hard packed or on ice. Deep snow is another animal all together. The deeper the snow the better they perform. I felt like I was driving a tank whenthe white stuff got deep. I took a spin around the neighborhood to play around and was very impressed. Even pulled out two stuck vehicles to help and test the tires at the same time. I'm very happy with the purchase.

One question though. I initially put in 46psi per tire. I then dropped that to 44psi due to the outer/inner 3/4" of tread not contacting the ground. The tires were rolling on the center treads only. Even at 44psi the outer edges are still not making contact. Will drop to 40psi and check again. I don't tow or haul heavy loads. What pressure are you running in your comparable tires/truck? I'm more concerned with the tires wearing evenly than MPG's.

Thanks to all who enter here!

Quick Reply: Will I notice a visual difference?