ABS problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS problem

Last summer my ABS light lit up on my 2000 F150 2WD. I took it to the shop and they said it was the drivers side front sensor (wanted to charge me $180 to replace it. Replaced it with a brand new Ford factory sensor for $36). Once I replaced it the light went away. Then a couple months down the road the light came on again. I haven't taken it to the shop since it came back on, but it's funny that it came on again so soon. Before I take it back to the shop and pay to have the system checked again, what are the chances that it's the same sensor and what could possibly be causing it to go out? Thanks!

Old 02-16-2011, 01:39 PM
@ TheSauce05, I have the same issue. ABS light is on but been told that there is nothing wrong with it. How did you change your sensor? I would like to change both and hopefully my light will turn off. It's been this way for years.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:51 PM
The front ABS sensors are mounted behind each spindle facing out towards the back of the rotors. They are held in with one small bolt and have a wire running up and into the engine compartment. The plug is visible in the fender well. All you have to do is turn the wheel all the way to one side (all the way to the left for the drivers side sensor, all the way to the right for the passenger side sensor) and remove the bolt, unplug the wire, and pry the sensor out with a flat-head screwdriver. Installation is just the opposite. Really easy job, doesn't take any time. The rear sensor is mounted on top of the differential and is harder to get to. You have to be careful when removing it as you don't want any junk to fall into the differential. It's held in place with a bolt and has a wire plugged directly into it. I forgot to mention that I changed it a while back as well.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:34 AM
Thanks for your help. I replaced the rear sensor, since it was just 1 and cheaper than the fronts. However, this didn't cause the light to turn off so it I will be replacing the front 2. I see that you found them for $36. Can you tell me where you found them for so cheap? The cheapest I've seen them is for almost twice as much. My truck is a 4x4 so not sure if that makes them more expensive. I was also thinking about replacing 1 and hoping the light turns off.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:45 AM
My truck is a 2WD, and I think the system is different because an AutoZone search brings up 2 sensors for my 2WD for around $50 a piece and only one for a 4WD at about $160. I got my sensor from Amazon, but they don't seem to have them anymore. I would try eBay Motors and maybe even a general Google search to see if you turn up anything. Good luck!

Old 02-17-2011, 04:44 PM
Yeah, I see that now. 4x4 is costing no cheaper than $155, damn it...Maybe I should go to a junk yard and see if I can get one from them. Over $300 to replace 2 of them is a lot of money for a faulty sensor...ABS seem to be working just find as I tested it yesterday.

Quick Reply: ABS problem