rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear brakes

my front brakes are at 7mm but my rear are at 3mm why would they wear that uneven? seems like a big difference to me.

should i replace both at same time?
will probably need rotors too whats up with having to buy the whole hub assembly?

Old 02-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Former Sponsor
If the brakes are not adjusted correctly they will wear uneven. Normally the fronts will wear a little faster then the rears since a majority of the braking comes from the front.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What Derrick said is generally true, but not carved in stone. Variances in your truck, driving habits, etc can all play into it. Assuming this is the original brakes?? Doesn't matter...just curious.

No, you don't necessarily need new rotors. Have the old ones turned. Perfectly OK (and some of us consider it a requirement with new pads) and won't hurt a thing. Only need new rotors if the old ones are too thin to turn or excessively warped, or some other malfunction. I think you'll be surprised how far that 3mm will go. If there's no squeal tab rubbing or any other issue, I'd let them ride until they're really done.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Second set of oem pads rotors turned when changed just curios about wear difference that big.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:40 PM
My truck has done the same thing. I changed the fronts a little over a week ago because I was tired of the factory dusting and they still had almost half of their original thickness left @ 40k miles.

I drop the truck off for an oil change yesterday and they call and tell me that my rear pads are shot! Sure enough, I checked them last night when I got it home and they are done. I picked up a set of rear pads on the way home tonight and will replace them when my wheels and tires come in.

I have never had a vehicle that wore the backs out before the fronts.. ever.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:29 PM
I have the same problem om my 05, don't know why the backs would wear ouut faster than the fronts...... Anybody have an idea on this... i'll probably change both fronts and backs at the same time.... They only lasted 43,000 kms or 26,000 miles?????

Quick Reply: rear brakes