Front end humming noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 09:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front end humming noise

Goes away on right turns (gentle highway turns), it's noticeable going straight, worse steering left and much worse (going straight) at speeds over 60. Since it went away while turning right I replaced the right side hub figuring the bearing. No difference. Did I do the wrong side or is it something else? Any recommendations for other things to check? 2002 4x4, ~100k mi. Thanks for the help.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:04 AM
The possibility that the wrong side was replaced is likely. Did the old bearing when turned have alot of resistance did it sound like marbles in a can? Take out the other side and see what it looks like. What did you replace it with? DO not do the 80 dollar oreily specials please. Timnkens or nationals from rock auto are much tighter and much stronger bearings.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:10 AM
I used the nationals from advance. I'll switch the hub out on the other side with the one I just replaced and see if that makes any difference. Neither bearing sounded bad when I turned them, the left had a faint sound of sand in one spot but everything I read said to replace the right since the sound went away on right turns.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:49 AM
A faint sound of sand in your bearings is never a good thing..

Old 02-20-2011, 02:10 PM
Shoulda went with what I first thought, the left side. Put the old right hub on the left side and walla, no more hum.

Did I have it wrong with the turning right takes pressure of the right side and the noise goes away so replace the right side?

Old 02-20-2011, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by fiftyincher
Shoulda went with what I first thought, the left side. Put the old right hub on the left side and walla, no more hum.

Did I have it wrong with the turning right takes pressure of the right side and the noise goes away so replace the right side?

I've seen it go both ways thought it was the right and it was the left. The only real way to test is to put the front up in the air and put your hands on 6 and 12 and tr to move it if it moves and isn't a tie rod moving then the bearing is bad. Or spin it up in the air and listen to it with a mechanic stethoscope if you hear the grind of sand it needs to be replaced. Glad you found it, and also glad you went with a good bearing. Did you remember to torque the spindle nut to the proper torque, and you also should recheck it at 50 to 100 miles. Did you replace your cotter pin?

Old 02-20-2011, 03:12 PM
Don't have a heavy duty torque wrench so I put as much pressure as I could on a 25" breaker bar. Yes on the cotter pin. Couple people I work with are very handy with vehicles so I'll see if they have the proper torque wrench. Advance Auto only has the 150 ft lb for rent.

Quick Reply: Front end humming noise