New tire questions. terra vs trail grapplers

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 12:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some pics would be great man. id really appreciate it.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would deffinatly appreciate it too. If they look better in person then that would be good to because they look decent on the internet but its still up in the air just because it is kind of hard to tell. I think i may go look at some later this week so i can get a really good idea of what they are. But do post up some pics just so others searching later on can see them too.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:34 PM
The Terras do look more aggressive in person than they do in pictures, especially in the larger sizes. I can attest to that.

Super smooth and quiet for such a large tread pattern, too.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:34 PM
I understand 35s should fit with a leveling kit ( i have a 2.5"). If i went with a 35" terra grap would i have to regear? Or should i say how much power will i lose if i dont regear?

Old 02-22-2011, 05:50 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by quackrstackr
The Terras do look more aggressive in person than they do in pictures, especially in the larger sizes. I can attest to that.

Super smooth and quiet for such a large tread pattern, too.
This is where opinions come into play (but, opinions is the vast majority of stuff on these forums anyways, so take that and my opinion with a grain of salt). Do some searching...the Terra is a phenomenal on-road tire, but it is the most boring tire I've ever owned! I was ready to get rid of them after about a year. If mileage is your concern then you'll be happy. If you really really care what they look like, you'll regret not getting the Trails. But, again my opinion...I'm not a "practical" guy when it comes to tires and my vehicles...I buy what I like and want, not always what I need. My needs don't make me happy...satisfying my wants do. For as expensive as tires are, I want something I'm going to be darn happy with for the next 3+ years/30,000+ miles

Oh, and I don't think the Terras look aggressive at all in person. What you've seen in photo's is what you get.

Originally Posted by 06 fx4
I understand 35s should fit with a leveling kit ( i have a 2.5"). If i went with a 35" terra grap would i have to regear? Or should i say how much power will i lose if i dont regear?
If you with a 35" in any tire you should regear. ESPECIALLY if you currently have 3.55's vice 3.73's. It will be a noticeable difference in power, mileage, and how your tranny performs. But, this also depends on your tolerance level. Heck, I wasn't happy and re-geared after going to 33"s...completely reinvigorated my truck. I enjoyed driving it once again. IMO (hey...there's that opinion word again), any budget for a drastic increase in tire diameter should include funds for gears. Odds are strongly in your favor that you'll never go back smaller in tire diameter and you'll only thank yourself afterwards.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:36 PM
nitto terra graps for sure. if you're not doing serious mudding or off-roading then don't bother with the trail graps.

i have 290/65/18 i believe and i have no issues.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
depends on how bad *** you want your truck to look. if you want it to look semi bad ***, go with the terras. if you want your truck to look mega bad ***, go with the trails. i did and it was a great decision.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:38 PM
Here's crappy Blackberry pics for now. I'll get the camera out when I get time.

I bought the truck two weeks ago. Here's my mods so far.

2007 XLT 5.4L 4X4 40K miles, 2" HBS level, Cherrybomb Pro SIDO, K&N CAI, 18X9 XD Monsters, 325/60/18(33") Terra Graps.

Before:

After:

Old 02-22-2011, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by Galaxy
This is where opinions come into play (but, opinions is the vast majority of stuff on these forums anyways, so take that and my opinion with a grain of salt). Do some searching...the Terra is a phenomenal on-road tire, but it is the most boring tire I've ever owned! I was ready to get rid of them after about a year. If mileage is your concern then you'll be happy. If you really really care what they look like, you'll regret not getting the Trails. But, again my opinion...I'm not a "practical" guy when it comes to tires and my vehicles...I buy what I like and want, not always what I need. My needs don't make me happy...satisfying my wants do. For as expensive as tires are, I want something I'm going to be darn happy with for the next 3+ years/30,000+ miles

Oh, and I don't think the Terras look aggressive at all in person. What you've seen in photo's is what you get.
Terras are extremely aggressive for an AT tire. Most of what you see on here being called an AT tire are really just poor MT's.

AT tires have traditionally been nothing more than aggressive street tires and stuff like boggers were specialty tires that were much more aggressive than any other mud tire on the market... but are now what people call MT's.

He keeps bringing up tread life as a concern so he needs to quit thinking about mud tires (which is what Trail Graps really are) altogether. Thornbirds look badass too but you can barely make it to the grocery and back before they're slick.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:15 PM
Here's crappy Blackberry pics for now. I'll get the camera out when I get time.

I bought the truck two weeks ago. Here's my mods so far.

2007 XLT 5.4L 4X4 40K miles 3.73, 2" HBS level, Cherrybomb Pro SIDO, K&N CAI, 18X9 XD Monsters, 325/60/18(33") Terra Graps.

Before:

After:

Old 02-22-2011, 08:17 PM
06 fx4 where you go to school and location? Ive got some nice ones for sale. 305/55/20. ive got new pics in my gallery. Also they are are a good tire. I have 13000 on mine and id easily say 85+ percent tread left on them. Pretty quiet also. also do what you want.....i wished i would have gotten the MT...so thats that. im getting trail grapps now.! Good luck and post up some pics when you are done

Old 02-22-2011, 08:37 PM

Ok here's my testimony. I've had both tires. I had the Terras for about 4 years and 56,000 miles. They still had good tread left, they just started to chunk a bit so they were due to be replaced. I loved them. They balanced great, rode smooth as silk (at least as silky as I could expect out of a truck), performed well in all weather conditions (I'm from San Antonio, so take that for what its worth), and they lasted. In the looks department, I thought they looked better in person for sure but a little bland in the sidewall department. I agree with Galaxy in that I was ready to replace them well before they needed to be. I got bored with them.

Now I switched from those to the Trails in the same size (305/55/20). First thing is looks, no contest! Trails are a much better looking tire. As far as the ride, this is my first mud terrain, but I think it rides quite nice. Again, they balance out great and the only time you "feel" the tread is when you're approaching a stop. I keep them aired at 45psi (loosely) and I feel they perform nicely at that pressure. No real issues in rain so far. I am able to break them loose a bit easier than the Terra's, especially when its fresh rain and things are a little oilier. The only drivability issue I've noticed, and its subtle for sure, is a slight drift to the left. I've had a few others corroborate that, but its really not a big deal as its very subtle. They are noisier than the Terra's but again I have no prior mud terrain experience to compare to. At highway speeds they have a definite audible hum but its not ridiculous. I've grown used to it and don't have any trouble drowning it out with the stereo. Durability is still an open verdict. I've had them for 10,000 miles and as far as I can tell they seem to be wearing fine. I rotate every 5,000 miles. Thats all I have so far, if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Here are some pictures so you can see the difference in appearance on the same truck. I know its not the same as yours but just so you can get an idea of how much different they look.

And I also agree with Galaxy in that it depends on what you really want. If you're trying to be practical and get what you need, you know the answer already and thats a no-brainer to get the Terras. If you're just trying to get justification for wanting the better looking tire, then get Trails. It won't hurt you in the "need" department, but sure will satisfy the "want" category!

Terras:

Trails:

Last edited by russ10screw; 02-22-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:19 PM
I tried to post pics but it didn't post. Crappy cell phone pics are in my gallery.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by Big_Smokey
06 fx4 where you go to school and location? Ive got some nice ones for sale. 305/55/20. ive got new pics in my gallery. Also they are are a good tire. I have 13000 on mine and id easily say 85+ percent tread left on them. Pretty quiet also. also do what you want.....i wished i would have gotten the MT...so thats that. im getting trail grapps now.! Good luck and post up some pics when you are done
Im at texas state in san marcos. If the price is right i may be interested in buying and if you're not ungodly far away

Old 02-22-2011, 10:49 PM
russ you're right about the trails looking mean but as far as an AT goes the terras arent a bad looking tire either. At this point it seems that either choice will be a good one. If i pick the terras then i get functionality, If i pick the trails then i get a bad A looking truck.

Quick Reply: New tire questions. terra vs trail grapplers