New tire questions. terra vs trail grapplers

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 06 fx4
russ you're right about the trails looking mean but as far as an AT goes the terras arent a bad looking tire either. At this point it seems that either choice will be a good one. If i pick the terras then i get functionality, If i pick the trails then i get a bad A looking truck.
Exactly. I thought the Terras looked pretty good for an All-Terrain. Just the sidewall got a bit boring after a while. But the functionality was great. If you go with the Trails, you'll still have most of the same functionality with a few more options to go off-road if you'd like. Plus you just can't compare the looks. So much better. So its really which is more important to to you.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:54 PM
Yea thats the only real draw back about the terras. The sidewall leaves something to be desired. I still have a little time to kill before i get new tires so maybe when im ready there will be a few posts about how long the trails last. At this point though im probably leaning toward the terras unless the trails last 40k miles but i just dont see that happening.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:20 AM

Yea thats the only real draw back about the terras. The sidewall leaves something to be desired. I still have a little time to kill before i get new tires so maybe when im ready there will be a few posts about how long the trails last. At this point though im probably leaning toward the terras unless the trails last 40k miles but i just dont see that happening.
Ok, I went and measured the tread depth on the center lugs. According to Nitto's website, my size tire started with roughly 15.4mm depth (19.4/32"). With 10,000 miles on them, I measured them somewhere between 13-14mm. (I don't have one of those fancy caliper things they use at the tire shops). That seems pretty good to me. I think 40,000 is very attainable with proper inflation and rotation. But I got 56,000 out of my Terras and had plenty of tread depth on those as well.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:51 AM
well i'll be damn. Then it looks like maybe some trail grapplers are in my future. That sounds pretty awesome to me because then i get decent performance and a sick looking tire. Thanks for all your help russ. Ill be glad to return the favor if you ever it.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:08 AM

well i'll be damn. Then it looks like maybe some trail grapplers are in my future. That sounds pretty awesome to me because then i get decent performance and a sick looking tire. Thanks for all your help russ. Ill be glad to return the favor if you ever it.
No problem at all. I've received more help from these forums than I'll ever be able to repay. Just try to contribute when I can. You're not by chance familiar with Texas law or law enforcement are you? Haha. I posted in another forum about a speeding ticket I received and totally missed my court date. Panicked now.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I made my decision today to get nitto trail grappler m/t with some new wider wheels.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
35 inches too

Quick Reply: New tire questions. terra vs trail grapplers