Best All-Terrain Tire

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The reason everyone compares other tires to BFG is because: BFG is the industry standard and a damn good tire. Get what you pay for I guess.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:12 PM
i have the Pro Comp Xtreme A/T's, nice looking/aggressive looking tire i love them. theyre OK in snow. better ones out there

Old 02-22-2011, 04:51 PM
I'll throw in a vote for the Cooper Discoverer ATRs, just because I haven't run the other mentioned, so I can't speak for or against them.

No real road noise to speak of. Never got stuck in anything, although I don't go off-roading recreationally, I do sometimes end up in mud and such. Very good in snow. We got about 8" the other night and the roads hadn't been cleaned off by morning, I had no problems at all driving 45 minutes to go skiing.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome
From what i've been hearing is Goodyears quality has gone down hill its hit or miss. some guys saying theres have held up not to bad and others were theres have worn out in no time.
I disagree. I have the MTR Kevlar and it is the best all-around, most capable tire I've ever had on a truck. Pick up a recent Peterson's 4WOR magazine and look at what tire almost every rig in there is running. Between this tire and the Silent Armour, it's arguable that GY is leading the industry right now with innovative, well thought out designed tires. The Kevlar is good everywhere and from what I've heard, the SA is more capable AT than the 'industry standard'. (which BTW, it amazes me that there's no more talk about the MTR around here than there is...I can't believe it's not getting popular...it performs as good as it looks)

Originally Posted by Helrazr
The reason everyone compares other tires to BFG is because: BFG is the industry standard and a damn good tire. Get what you pay for I guess.
Hands down, the best way to put it. Couldn't have said it better.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:23 PM
[QUOTE=Galaxy;4508424]I disagree. I have the MTR Kevlar and it is the best all-around, most capable tire I've ever had on a truck. Pick up a recent Peterson's 4WOR magazine and look at what tire almost every rig in there is running. Between this tire and the Silent Armour, it's arguable that GY is leading the industry right now with innovative, well thought out designed tires. The Kevlar is good everywhere and from what I've heard, the SA is more capable AT than the 'industry standard'. (which BTW, it amazes me that there's no more talk about the MTR around here than there is...I can't believe it's not getting popular...it performs as good as it looks)

that may be true i haven't heard anything bad about the MTR Kevlar but i was talking about the Duratracks. most of what i have heard of them is not very positive.thats why i said it's hit or miss. i had a couple of flats too one from a rock and another was a pin from a chain link connector. the guys at the tire shop were surprised that both had punctured the tire.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:27 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ahhh, my bad. But you didn't say Duratrac...you said GoodYear.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:36 PM
nitto terra graps work fine for me

Old 02-22-2011, 07:39 PM
ya but Duratracks are Goodyear. i said there quality went down hill cause some of there tires are really good some are crap. not like it used to be no matter what Goodyear tire you bought you were getting a good tire. but we can both agree BFG is a really good tire.
for me what i what and need i'am going with Cooper STT

Old 02-22-2011, 07:52 PM
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=4wd150;4508344]i have the Pro Comp Xtreme A/T's, nice looking/aggressive looking tire i love them. theyre OK in snow. better ones out there[

You beat me to it... I have the pc extreme at's as well in 35x12.50. Great tire, no wearing issues and they are rated at 40k. I love mine too.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:54 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Helrazr
I think there have been a lot of improvements in tires in recent years, and those like the BFG AT KO dropped down on the list as they rested on their laurels. Right now the number one rated tire on TireRack for our truck is the Michelin LTX M/S2. It's interesting that the ON/OFF Road - All Terrain tires are not always the best rated in show, and Highway - All Season tires do well in show.

There is one tire that is so good on ice and show that many are putting them on their Mustangs so they can continue driving them through winter, a Studless Ice and Snow tire, the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by kraftomatic
Hey Guys - looking for some nice all-terrain tire options. I have a 2010 Platinum and the tires on it just don't work well in the snow up here in Michigan. Looking for something that works well in all seasons, looks good and will last awhile.

Thanks in advance.
Here check out this sitehttp://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/index.html

Old 02-23-2011, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome
Here check out this sitehttp://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/index.html
Will do, thanks CA.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by shifty219
Really? Mine have been great in the gravel and ice, i am really impressed with them. I am the same, im off road just as im on and mine look brand new and are 2 years with 20k on them. My wifes step dad shredded 3 Goodyear RTS last year on one of the highways here due to the gravel/trap rock mix and my tires dont have a single chip out of them.

Also the Duratracs were the cheapest tire I could find for that size on a 18 inch rim. Everything was 380 to 450 CND while I picked up the tracs for 220 a tire.
But to each his own
Where did you get your tires from? Duratracs in that size (295-65-18) are $320 everywhere I have looked here in Ontario.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:57 AM
Now if you want a good tire, all i can say is, BFG Radial Long Trail T/A. hahahahahahahaha. just jokin around but where i live, everyone has BFG all terrains. My brother had the nitto A/T and didnt last but like 15,000 miles. My dad had BFG A/T's and they lasted him 47,000. But its all on what you want, best looking, cost, and which do you do more of. Another tire i recommen is the Cooper Zeon LTZ. There considered a radial but one of my friends has them and there aggresive looking, and i seen them in mud, there a great tire to look at.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by F_ast
Where did you get your tires from? Duratracs in that size (295-65-18) are $320 everywhere I have looked here in Ontario.
I got them from my local Goodyear dealer here in town, Royal Tire. They first quoted me at 265 a tire but talked them down to 220. Maybe they have gone up in price now, I picked them up when they first came out. Had to wait 2 weeks to get them, they were being gobbled up so much.

Quick Reply: Best All-Terrain Tire