Best All-Terrain Tire

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm gonna throw another tire in here as well. I ran yokohama geolander at/s's and was absolutely susprised at how well they performed. Awesome in the snow and did very well in the mud. I did a lot of towing with them as well. Great tire. Held up well on highway, gravel roads, fields, anything I really put my truck through. They have a good tread life on them and have a nice tread design IMO.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:41 PM
I have bfg all terrain t/a's. They look alright, not to wimpish but not too beast. Theyrr sidetread really helps down here in the sand. When the tires start to dig they really grab, i can tell. Im just leary how they would do in snow, i suppose if you put some weight in the back ud be alright, but be careful, when its time for new tires u cant wait, they will lose ALL traction. And i mean all. Ull be all over the road

Old 03-11-2011, 09:01 PM
The BFG AT KO's seem to be a combination of a bit too hard of a compound and too closed of a tread pattern to do well in snow as compared to the Nitto TG or Cooper Discoverer ST's. I had to chain up three or four times this winter for plowing where I never had to do that with the other tires.

Actually the Nitto's kind of surprised me on snow but I think it was the soft compound doing its job. They definetly wore faster however, especially early on. My BFG TA KO's have 20k miles on and they still look like new. Probably no wear since they've been on snow almost the entire time I've had them on!

Can't wait for spring!

Old 03-11-2011, 09:43 PM
I just went from 325/60 20 Nitto's to same size Hancook's. I made a trip today that was a couple hundred miles. They were very quiet. They were quieter than the Nito's I've ran for several years. I thought I'd go with a tire that actually has decent mileage rating and see what happens. We'll see....

Old 03-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Hi, I have about 20,000 mi on my 285/65/r18 10 ply BFG All Terrains, and so far I love them. I even put a set of stock size on the wifes 2000 Exped and she loves them too. We see about 6 months of cold weather up here, and I am really suprised at how little I put my truck in 4x4, especially this year with lots of freeze and thaw cycles creating lots of icy roads. I have a buddy that put on Nitto TG's and he loves them as well.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:58 AM
I am running the BFG AT's, they are a great tire, look awesome and last forever. Another tire I would throw into the mix would be the Hankook RF10's, great looks and great reviews. I will probably get a set to try out after these BFG's wear out but that will take years...got about 90 000 kms out of my last set, only have 20 000 on these so far.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:49 AM
I just put 53000 miles on Ameritrac TR's they have been a decent tire for me and much better in snow that I expected. I have now just bought Firestone Destinations AT's mainly because everything i could read about them was really good and the price was good $139 a piece plus 52 bucks for shipping 4 form tirerack.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Well, I'll throw in another opinion, and that's all it is. As stated repeatedly by others, tire choice is like choosing a girlfriend. What works for one won't work for another and none of them have everything you want.

I've been wheeling for over 25 years and have run the gamut of different types of tires from BFG AT's and MT's to my latest preference, the Goodyear MTR. I usually ran two sets, some AT's for street use and some aggressive MT's for off roading. I will say though that other than the MTR I think most of the Goodyear truck line is junk. Many stock trucks come from the factory with Goodyear and if I were a betting man I'd say it was because they got the tires cheap, not because they were good. The Wrangler AT's that came on my Expedition were horrible, hard to balance, and switching them out was long overdue. I think the BFG AT's are dated and were a great tire in their time and I ran them for a while as well. I think they have fallen behind and there are much better AT tires out there. Having said that, most AT tires are not really designed for snow. Some however will do fine in the snow depending on their tread design. I ran the BFG MT's for years until I felt they also were surpassed by other brands. BFG however got their act together and are now competitive with their new line.

For an all around tire that does ok on the trail and decent in the snow I've been running the Bridgestone Desert Dueler. I am on my third set on my 01 Expedition and have found them to be pretty good in dirt, good in snow, and they ride great on asphalt. They are not as aggressive as the Nitto AT or some others but they are probably better all around for all conditions. For my 07 screw I just bought a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers. So far I like them but I haven't taken them out on the snow or dirt yet as I just got the truck. They ride fine on the pavement other than the fact that the fronts stick out so far that road spray is distracting.

I ran a set of Firestone AT's on my Bronco some years ago and had two of them explode on me. The tires separated completely while on the freeway and it proved to be an exciting moment. Firestone had their share of lawsuits on their tires for a while but hopefully they have fixed those problems.

Last edited by TheDesertRat; 03-27-2011 at 05:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Best All-Terrain Tire