Best All-Terrain Tire

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 08:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best All-Terrain Tire

Hey Guys - looking for some nice all-terrain tire options. I have a 2010 Platinum and the tires on it just don't work well in the snow up here in Michigan. Looking for something that works well in all seasons, looks good and will last awhile.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:18 AM
Well I've always heard good things about the BFGoodrich A/T's, people gettin 35-45k miles outta them, Nitto terra grapplers are always a great option, I squeezed about 42k outta mine. Both are aggressive tires, nittos cost a little bit more, but it's a matter of opinion.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:29 AM
Ive been loving my Goodyear Duratracs. One of the best all terrain tire ive used, handle great in mud snow and gravel

The BFG's are terrible in the snow. I had a set once and couldnt wait to get rid of them

Old 02-22-2011, 09:24 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd say between the three already mentioned, you literally can't go wrong. Tires are like oil and religion...you're gonna find someone that doesn't like the one that 10 other people swear are the best, so default to the majority if you have nothing else to base it on. As silly as it may sound, between the BFG A/T, Nitto Terra Grappler, and GY Silen Armour (IMO, the Duratrac is a little agressive to be considered an AT), I'd pick the one you like the looks of the best. Or if you must, base it on cost. Either way, you're going to end up with an awesome AT tire.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:52 AM
I cant really add more than what has been said (but I will). I have been researching tires for a while now. At first I was set on the BFG because they had an almost 35" tire but it was 11" wide (I need 20" tire). Then I changed my mine to the Duratracs. I REALLY like them but they only have 20" tires that are either to big or too little for what I am looking for (35"X12.5"X20). Then I found the D i c k Cepek FC II. They have a tire that will be perfect for me and that is the way that I am going to go (will be placing order this week). I just wanted to throw out one other option.

Good luck.

KD

Old 02-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Your exactly right Galaxy, your going to get a million different recommendations. I ment to mention the SA's as well. I like the duratracs because they are the best of both worlds. Quiet and handle great in snow, and still hold their own in the mud.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by shifty219
The BFG's are terrible in the snow. I had a set once and couldnt wait to get rid of them
I live in south Texas, haha my bad, don't really know how the BFG's are in the snow.

Trending Topics

Old 02-22-2011, 10:09 AM
no worries. The tire compound is just too hard in the cold and they plug up to easy.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ever notice how everyone compares their AT's to the BFG AT KO?

Old 02-22-2011, 10:28 AM
Probably because we all have had a set at one point or another . I didnt mind them for summer use but when the snow started to fly, I would have to put the truck in 4 wheel to get moving. The poor truck was in and out of 4 wheel soo many time just to get to point B

Old 02-22-2011, 10:31 AM
Imo the Duratacks are junk if you'r going to use them on gravel and off road.i had a set on my work truck. I work in the oil patch and used them off road as much as i do on road.only got about 20k,25k tops out of them.the gravel chewed the #$%^ out of them.They are quiet on the highway,so so in the mud,ok in snow and suck on hard pack snow and ice.Imo they are not very good tires for what they suppose to be and pay. you can get better tires for the price. we had put a few pairs of theres put on our work trucks and everybody had the same results.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Really? Mine have been great in the gravel and ice, i am really impressed with them. I am the same, im off road just as im on and mine look brand new and are 2 years with 20k on them. My wifes step dad shredded 3 Goodyear RTS last year on one of the highways here due to the gravel/trap rock mix and my tires dont have a single chip out of them.

Also the Duratracs were the cheapest tire I could find for that size on a 18 inch rim. Everything was 380 to 450 CND while I picked up the tracs for 220 a tire.
But to each his own

Old 02-22-2011, 11:22 AM
I have to put up another vote for the GY Silent Armor's. I just put a set on my Screw and absolutely love them. Granted I have a 17" rim and went with the 255/75's, but I can only imagine they will work well in any rim size. You see alot of them on contractor/plow rigs around here in the northeast and around here, if the tire doesn't work.......they don't last long on the trucks.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by shifty219
Really? Mine have been great in the gravel and ice, i am really impressed with them. I am the same, im off road just as im on and mine look brand new and are 2 years with 20k on them. My wifes step dad shredded 3 Goodyear RTS last year on one of the highways here due to the gravel/trap rock mix and my tires dont have a single chip out of them.

Also the Duratracs were the cheapest tire I could find for that size on a 18 inch rim. Everything was 380 to 450 CND while I picked up the tracs for 220 a tire.
But to each his own
From what i've been hearing is Goodyears quality has gone down hill its hit or miss. some guys saying theres have held up not to bad and others were theres have worn out in no time. more so on gravel it seams to chew them up in no time. i have a friend that works at a tire shop(assistant manager) and GoodYear is one of there main brands and he has been noticing this to. just my experience from what i've seen and heard.

Last edited by Captain Awesome; 02-22-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:45 PM
I have BFG A/T and my truck is 2wd and I haven't had trouble in snow. Ya sometimes it takes a little longer to get going but I'm 2wd so its expected. And they were $25 cheaper for each tire than the GY's. Haven't really worn down in the 5k miles I've put on them but thats just a small amount of miles.

Quick Reply: Best All-Terrain Tire